RB Jaylen Wright | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB Jaylen Wright

I know what they emphasize which is why I said that exact thing.

This is no knock against you at all but I’m so tired of hearing about scheme fit. All we’ve heard is we need a TE that can block to open up the offense and they go sign Jonnu Smith who is mostly a receiving TE.

I’m just using that as an example. Maybe the scheme fit is overrated. I know finesse is overrated and would have gladly taken my chances with a violent physical wide OG that’s nasty. Maybe that’s what we need to bring some attitude to this team.
I think McDaniel considers Smythe and JHill as the blocking TEs. Smith isn't bad as a blocker for that matter and will be the receiving option at the position. I expect a significant improvement by JHill this season. He's come a long way from tiny Campbell College already.

He just loves getting into the "Fetal" position. - LOL
Can you imagine being a ball turret gunner on a B17? The life expectancy was the shortest of any crew member. Crawling into the ball turret, having to curl up in a fetal position, and staying there for hours. Even if you survived it had to be nerve-wracking.

I always enjoy the Bob McGinn compilation of scouts' comments. So just in case anyone missed the one for Wright.

4. JAYLEN WRIGHT, Tennessee (5-10 ½, 210, 4.38, 3): Third-year junior led the Volunteers in rushing the past two seasons in an Air Raid offense. “He’s a slippery, darter-type runner that is highly efficient,” one scout said. “Has speed, quickness, and vengeance. Will finish runs. He’s tough. Not into dodging when the picture becomes cloudy. Can elude in tight spaces. Can get to daylight. Not a punishing runner but very proficient with his style. Functional as a receiver but not as a blocker. His weakness would be the power to move piles and break tackles, pass pro and routes.” Fastest back in the draft. “More of a big-play, straight-line guy,” said a second scout. “Does have good hands. Of all the backs, this guy might be the most explosive. He’s not elusive.” Finished with 368 carries for 2,297 (6.2) and 18 TDs plus 30 receptions. His 7.4 average in 2023 led FBS. “He’s fast but I’m not going there,” a third scout said. Led the top 25 backs in the broad jump (11-2). From Durham, N.C.

Dane Brugler's profile on him. I consider him the best of the media draft gurus.

4. JAYLEN WRIGHT | Tennessee 5104 | 210 lbs. | 3JR Durham, N.C. (Southern) 4/1/2003 (age 21.07) #0

BACKGROUND: Jaylen Wright, one of four children, was born in Raleigh, N.C. He got his start in football as part of the Durham Eagles Pop Warner league and was a standout running back at Carrington Middle School (also ran track growing up). Wright attended Southern Durham High School and saw varsity action as a freshman and sophomore. Despite being part of a backfield committee as a junior, he earned All-Conference honors with 901 rushing yards on 89 carries (10.1 average) and five touchdowns, while adding six receptions for 62 yards. He led Southern to a 10-2 record and the 2019 conference championship. Wright was expected to be the team’s featured runner as a senior, but the 2020 season was canceled because of the pandemic. He was also an accomplished track athlete in high school and won the state 3A championship in the indoor 55-meter dash as a sophomore (6.35 seconds), then set a personal best as a junior (6.25) — a top-10 time nationally. Wright also posted personal bests of 6.72 in the 60-meter dash, 10.85 in the 100, 21.98 in the 200, and 51.41 in the 400. A three-star recruit, Wright was the No. 40 running back in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 35 recruit in North Carolina. After his breakout junior season (and his blazing 55-meter dash), he received his first Division I offer (Liberty) in January 2020. Rutgers, Arizona State, and FAU followed with offers of their own. Several SEC programs then entered the picture, including Arkansas, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Tennessee. After attending junior day in Knoxville, Tenn., Wright committed to the Volunteers and former head coach Jeremy Pruitt in March 2020 and signed in December 2020. Pruitt was fired in January 2021, and Josh Heupel took over as head coach, but Wright stayed committed. He was the No. 12 recruit in the Vols’ 2021 class. After three seasons, he elected to skip the 2023 bowl game and his senior season to enter the 2024 NFL Draft. Wright accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Muscular build with defined arms and quads … gives his blockers a chance to do their jobs before using his burst to accelerate through holes … has track speed, but his ability to cut away from pursuit angles at full speed and create missed tackles is more impressive … most of his explosives came on the outside, where he could bounce and find a runway (three carries of 50-plus yards in 2023) … keeps his shoulders square and his feet underneath him for quick lateral cuts … runs with balance and run strength, and he averaged 4.35 yards after contact in 2023 (third best in the FBS among backs with 130-plus carries) … willing to step up and stone linebackers in pass pro … only 30 career catches, but he caught the ball well when targeted … plenty of tread left — fewer than 400 offensive touches in college… produced when given the opportunity, averaging 6.24 yards per carry over the last two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Prefers to step/spin out of contact and doesn’t consistently drop his pads into contact or fall forward … inside vision is inconsistent and will leave some meat on the bone … needs to be quicker adjusting his tempo to attack daylight as it opens … wide base helps his balance mid-cut but also hinders some of his lateralexplosiveness at times … anticipation in pass protection is still developing … fumbled five times over the last two seasons, although only once in 2023 … minimalspecial-teams experience and wasn’t used as a returner in college … scored just four times in 2023 … wasn’t asked to carry the offense (12 or fewer offensive touches in half of his games in 2023) … underwent a procedure on his left thumb after the 2023 season.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter, Wright was the lead back in head coach Josh Heupel’s version of the Air Raid spread scheme. He led the Volunteers in rushing each of the last two seasons and finished No. 1 among all FBS running backs in yards per carry in 2023 (7.39). Wright, who formerly was roommates with speedster wide receiver Jalin Hyatt, is a good-sized back with the foot quickness and speed bursts that lead to explosive plays (25.74 percent of his carries in 2023 went for 10-plus yards, No. 1 in the FBS). Though his pace and patience must improve for more controlled runs, he showed a lot of promise with his receiving skills and pass-pro reps on his 2023 film. Overall, Wright needs to develop a better feel for using tempo to maximize what is there, but his run strength, balance, and ability to cut/weave at top speed make him dangerous with the ball in his hands. He projects as a scheme-versatile back (stylistically similar to Jerome Ford) who can handle work on all three downs.

GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 83 overall)

I doubt he fits in the wide zone and would have no better chance to make the team and contribute this season than UDFA Matthew Jones will.
Sealth drafted Laumea and they are more of a man/power type of running offense. That is where he fits. He played RT at Utah and still needs work in pass protection.
He would have fit.

I’ve seen some say that Patrick Paul isn’t the greatest scheme fit either for us but I don’t see that mentioned.

No coach in football runs just his specific scheme. You mold the scheme to fit your players skill sets. Especially in the NFL bc most coaches aren’t buying all the groceries .

The groceries are bought for them and then they have to cook up a recipe that works. The best coaches fit the scheme to their players… not the other way around.

I think McDaniel considers Smythe and JHill as the blocking TEs. Smith isn't bad as a blocker for that matter and will be the receiving option at the position. I expect a significant improvement by JHill this season. He's come a long way from tiny Campbell College already.
Julian Hill is a nobody that has done nothing and yet we’re depending on him. He’s a JAG nothing more nothing less.

Smythe is decent blocking and probably not even average receiving. He’s brings little to nothing.

Jonnu Smith is a WR in a TEs body. He does try blocking so his effort is there but that’s just not what he is. Pure receiver that brings very little blocking.

All we’ve heard is we need a blocking TE to make that position work in this offense and yet over 2 offseasons Mike has neglected that position just like the interior of the OL this year.

My goodness just smh.

Sending a 2025 3rd rounder for a running back.

We have plenty of speed and what’s it gotten us when it gets cold late in the year?

This is another wasted pick and they continue to ignore huge holes on the OL with a QB who has a severe injury history.

You don’t build football teams from the outside in. You build them from the inside out and MM or Grier or both don’t seem to understand that the OL is very important especially when again… your QB has a severe injury history.

Trading away a future 3rd for a rotational back is just downright stupid. They have been about as bad in this draft as they possibly could.

Patrick Paul may develop and at least he has real tools. But Robinson and then a RB… goodness gracious what a waste.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

It did but it’s bc you don’t question someone else football acumen. I don’t do it to anybody here so I expect it not to be done to me.

I’ve dedicated my life to this game and I know it as well as anyone here. Of course I’m wrong sometimes like everyone but it’s not bc I don’t know what I’m talking about. It’s bc I just missed like everybody does from time to time.

I’m just sick of the losing bro I really am. I want to win a Super Bowl just one time before I go. I want to know what it feels like. Bc lord knows I’ve spent enough time money and effort on this team to last a lifetime.

If I’m wrong on these guys then so be it and I’ll be the first here to eat any crow anyone wants to throw at me and I’ll gladly do it.
I think you need to let go of your ego and better substantiate your points instead of prattling on how you should be more respected. Bring your brain to the table or back off the hurt feelings lever.

Just a thought.

Julian Hill is a nobody that has done nothing and yet we’re depending on him. He’s a JAG nothing more nothing less.

Smythe is decent blocking and probably not even average receiving. He’s brings little to nothing.

Jonnu Smith is a WR in a TEs body. He does try blocking so his effort is there but that’s just not what he is. Pure receiver that brings very little blocking.

All we’ve heard is we need a blocking TE to make that position work in this offense and yet over 2 offseasons Mike has neglected that position just like the interior of the OL this year.
Julian Hill was green as grass as a rookie. Jon Embree has been coaching TEs for over 30 years and he apparently sees something worth developing. It seems ridiculous to be giving up on him already. I'd bet 99% of the FH members never even heard of Campbell College before Hill was signed a year ago.
Smythe was very reliable when targeted. He caught over 81% of passes thrown his way, which is excellent. He was used mostly in a check-down role and was fine doing that. Since they extended Smythe last year they must consider him acceptable for the blocking TE role.

He would have fit.

I’ve seen some say that Patrick Paul isn’t the greatest scheme fit either for us but I don’t see that mentioned.

No coach in football runs just his specific scheme. You mold the scheme to fit your players skill sets. Especially in the NFL bc most coaches aren’t buying all the groceries .

The groceries are bought for them and then they have to cook up a recipe that works. The best coaches fit the scheme to their players… not the other way around.
Whether your Utah RT would have fit could be argued till the cows come home but since he is now with Seattle the debate is moot.

Anyone who says Paul does not fit the scheme either is incorrect and just looking to show their ignorance.

In the NFL, all head coaches have their preferred schemes and they acquire players that fit that scheme and what they want to do.

GMs have the final say on draft picks and free agents but they work in concert with the head coach with input from his assistants. No GM is going to just bring in players on his own, without input from the coaches. So, the groceries as you put it, are bought with the approval and agreement of the head coach. I don't see how you could think otherwise. Especially since this is a Dolphins forum and Chris Grier has specifically said that is how he and Mike work together to build the roster.

And you just know the morons that haven’t sniffed a SB in 40 years know it all right?

Bro I’m as big a college football guy as any on this board. Believe me I don’t need to google stats I know how to watch tape.

You need to pay attention bc obviously you’re just a fan boy that doesn’t have n opinion of his own bc you just copy and paste stats and numbers from his google page like you just did.

I’ve forgotten more about this game than you’ll ever know.

I’ve been a fan since the day I was born so who the h*ll are you to question what I know? You don’t know me.

If you don’t like my “b*tching” about a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in 25 years then ignore me an move on.
Anchorman GIF

Back
Top Bottom