Trade down with #21 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down with #21

Just saw the article Grier said teams were calling about us giving up pick 21.
What player available then would they want?
If we go OL, especially G/C, I would trade back. If we want a true tackle, I probably would not.
I could see dropping down to the 29-32 range and taking Kingsley Suamataia, or Patrick Paul. Could go a little lower for more 3rd/4th rounders but would lose the 5th year option.

I will play devil's advocate and say we move up a couple of spots (roughly) by including a 2025 3rd if someone we really really want is there.

**Pure uneducated speculation on my part. I take no responsibility if you choose to use this speculation to place a bet or take out a 3rd mortgage on your van down by the river.
If the Fins trade a 2025 3rd it will have to be their own pick. The compensatories for this offseason will not be awarded until next year.

If the Fins trade a 2025 3rd it will have to be their own pick. The compensatories for this offseason will not be awarded until next year.
This is 100% correct. Compensatory picks cannot be treated, so Miami would have to trade their own third round pick. Having said that with the draft this year being much deeper than the 2025 draft, I would have no problem taking our third next year and bundling it with potentially our second or if we trade down whatever pic we get there to grab another starter in the top two rounds. With a 1st, a second, and 3/3 rounders next year it gives us the flexibility to move our third move up this year. This is especially true if you’re needing a wide receiver since 2025 draft is much weaker in that position, in a lot of defensive backs and defensive lineman are projected to go in the first next year.

There are a lot of desperate for a Qb teams in the top 20.

We might just our wish and have all 6 go before 21

Ultimately that would probably be for the best.

Hard to imagine who might want a QB enough to move up to 21.

All the teams that need QBs pick in front of us so who’s going to make a big move up to take a QB after passing on a QB already?

I think our best bet to score in a trade down is if we see a run in CBs in the teens and then Philly, GB and especially Detroit get antsy.

The Steelers at 20 are in play for a CB (along with OT) so if they do take a corner, Grier needs to pressure the Eagles into a very doable swap. Eagles have 22, 50 and 53, along with 161, 171 and 172.

Swapping 21 and 55 for 22 and 50 while picking up one of those later picks could be a win-win. The Eagles only have three picks next year, a first, second and third. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they were open to the idea of moving some of their later picks this year to swap for a later pick next year to fill the void.

Moving from 55 to 50 is a little boost towards finding a second starter out of this draft while adding another late pick gives us some capital to add a sleeper.

If the Steelers take a CB, the door opens to this possible scenario.

This is 100% correct. Compensatory picks cannot be treated, so Miami would have to trade their own third round pick. Having said that with the draft this year being much deeper than the 2025 draft, I would have no problem taking our third next year and bundling it with potentially our second or if we trade down whatever pic we get there to grab another starter in the top two rounds. With a 1st, a second, and 3/3 rounders next year it gives us the flexibility to move our third move up this year. This is especially true if you’re needing a wide receiver since 2025 draft is much weaker in that position, in a lot of defensive backs and defensive lineman are projected to go in the first next year.

You can trade compensatory picks. That rule changed a few years ago.

I will play devil's advocate and say we move up a couple of spots (roughly) by including a 2025 3rd if someone we really really want is there.

**Pure uneducated speculation on my part. I take no responsibility if you choose to use this speculation to place a bet or take out a 3rd mortgage on your van down by the river.

If he falls for some reason, Bowers is the player you'd do that for imo.

Correct, and teams can't trade comp. picks that haven't been awarded yet...correct as well?

I don't know, I could see it both ways. Maybe you can't trade a pick that isn't officially yours however you could word a trade that your trading your lowest future pick in that round, if you anticipate having multiple picks in that round. At that point I would assume the league would put a freeze on your pick to ensure you have at least one pick to give up.

Back
Top Bottom