Trade down with #21 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down with #21

I think Thomas is arguably the best player we could potentially draft at #21. Extending Waddle is going to be expensive. Would be nice to have a 3rd option with true #1 WR potential on the roster for reassurance.

Also, I want OL as much as the next guy, but I think the best options will be gone at 21. If teams view JPJ as a pure center he could slide out of the 1st round. Or be an option later in the 1st if we trade down.
Since they have Waddle for two more years and can always franchise him in three years, I don’t see his contract being a big issue in the future.
Hill will likely only remain a Dolphin through 2025. Armstead’s salary will be coming off the books in the next year or two. So there will be plenty of money to sign both Waddle and Phillips before they hit free agency.

The only big contracts they have before those two come due is Tua and Holland I think the Tua contract will be resolved once June 1st comes and Howard’s contract comes off their cap.

Holland will obviously be looking for a big contract going into the 2025 season but the Dolphins should have the cap money to pay him if they decide they want to resign him.

On than Waddle, Phillips, Tua, and Holland, I really don’t see any must sign players on the roster at this time. They still have the time and moves they can make to ensure they resign all of them before they leave in free agency.

Wouldn't be adverse to trading down if it gave us picks to get Barton and JPJ who seems to be falling but won't get to 55.

Music to my ears.

I am all for trading back with this draft class. Plenty of starters will be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I am just having a tough time coming up with a team that would trade up for a QB. Vikings and Raiders will have already passed on someone at that point, so will they come up to 21? I know the Vikes are at 23 already, so i doubt they pass on the QB they want at 11 thinking they'll get him later. Will the Raiders pass at 15 and then move back up? Doubtful.

The Giants are intriguing but their next pick, after 6, is 47th so thats a steep drop. That'll take a 2025 first along with pick 47, to come up to 21 (and likely give them back a 3rd rounder). I would do that deal in a heartbeat. And its possible the current FO (and Daboll) might be desperate to show they have a plan for the future or everyone could be out after 2024.

Lions coming up to 21 (from 29) to grab a corner is a strong possibility.

I don't see that sleeper team coming up for a QB though. Even the Saints as an outside the box team wouldn't make sense as they would've passed in the first round too.
Yeah IF Nix and Penix do last till 21, needy teams are probably looking to move up to the last 3-5 picks in the 1st to get them. Maybe we do a double trade down? Too much??😂

I find it mildly curious that after moaning about losing our first round picks for decades now in a row, we finally have one and you all wanna trade it away 😂

Yeah IF Nix and Penix do last till 21, needy teams are probably looking to move up to the last 3-5 picks in the 1st to get them. Maybe we do a double trade down? Too much??😂

The problem is that it’s hard to imagine which teams would trade up to 21, instead of just drafting them themselves in the middle of the round.

The problem is that it’s hard to imagine which teams would trade up to 21, instead of just drafting them themselves in the middle of the round.
Yeah, hard to see paying the price for 21. Kinda neither here nor there. But moving up to 30-32, or maybe 28,29, might leapfrog another needy team, and gives the 5th year team option (which can be huge IF the QB really hits). Could we maybe trade down with SF (or KC), and then trade down again with a team moving up for a qb? Probably not gonna be an option, and maybe that puts us too far down/ outa the sweet spot... but fun to think about.

I find it mildly curious that after moaning about losing our first round picks for decades now in a row, we finally have one and you all wanna trade it away 😂
alanis morrisette GIF

Yeah, hard to see paying the price for 21. Kinda neither here nor there. But moving up to 30-32, or maybe 28,29, might leapfrog another needy team, and gives the 5th year team option (which can be huge IF the QB really hits). Could we maybe trade down with SF (or KC), and then trade down again with a team moving up for a qb? Probably not gonna be an option, and maybe that puts us too far down/ outa the sweet spot... but fun to think about.
Miamis Pick #21 is worth 800 pts.

KC's picks #32/590pts & #64/270pts

SFs picks #31/600pts & #63/276pts

So if we get either of these teams 1st & 2nd round picks, we're technically coming out ahead.

Personally I don't think I would do it. Not because I don't think we will get a good player at #31 or #32 but I don't trust Grier to hit with the #63 or #64 pick. Which would make this worthless. He would probably draft another defense project player who never plays a meaningful snap in his entire career.

So we have interest in what?
Top 6-7 ol(maybe consider Guyton?),
Bowers(think cincy might prefer him, #18, over Gesicki?),
Top 4 wr(I doubt they will pick Thomas and more likely trade to someone who wants him) and I really hope they don't take Worthy here,
Top 4-5 dbs(label them how ya like),
Top 3 edge(Robinson is 4th and looks likely to go rd 2),
Neither Byron or Newton are options to Grier apparently
That's 17-19 and then add 3-4 qb's and were solid with any of these that slide to us.
If anyone should have trade interest.. I'm positive we can still get great value in 22-32, especially since there is always a few '
There are a lot of desperate for a Qb teams in the top 20.

We might just our wish and have all 6 go before 21

Grier would trade down to 28th for an extra 1st rounder, then trade those first rounders and his second to move back up to 24th...and get cheered for it.

My tinfoil hat theory about this is that Grier wants to trade down, but hasn’t actually received any offers, and thus has “leaked” that other teams have called just to try to drum up interest. Those picks in the 18-25 range always seem like the hardest to trade down from with the value that exists or doesn’t exist. I think we are staying right where we are.

It’s a dumb idea unless it’s 3-4 spots down and we get a third

Due to teams in the top 20 overdrafting QB, and a run on either OT or WR, several outstanding players will drop to 21. If one of the stud OTs drop, pick him. Otherwise the BPA will probably be at DT or Edge. Trading back more than 2 spots would deprive us of a chance to draft a difference maker IMO.
Dropping back just 2 spots and we can "Have our cake and eat it".
Was that possibly a poor choice of words? - LOL

Back
Top Bottom