What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

MrChadRico

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It's April Fools, so instead of creating a stupid thread about Tyreek Hill being diagnosed with some rare exotic STD thats currenrly baffling scientists or something like that, I thought about the most outrageous take currently swirling around the Dolphins and it has to sit in Joel Klatts office.

He is adimit that the Dolphins should not only draft Penix, he also believes the Dolphins will be better with Penix than with Tua.

He thinks Penix is Taylor-made for McDaniels offense. "Dolphins offense needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

"They can then trade Tua to a offense that's a better fit for himself"

- Personally i don't think Penix is as good as Klatt says, he paints Penix as a better verson of Justin Herbert and the likleyhood of that being true is prob less than 1%. I think Penix takes too many risks with the ball and I see his ceiling for a player comp to be Jay Cutler. I'm not sure if Klatt is just pushing this for clicks or if he honestly thinks Penix is this kind of talent.

Curious to see what other ppl think about this "April Fools-like take" that Klatt has been spewing for the last 2 months.

This is total B/S. Miami is currently negotiating a long term contract with Tua. BTW - hate to break it to you but Tua actually improved significantly last season - QBR 101.1, Pass completion % of 69.3%, Passing yardage of 4624 yds, TD/Int - 29/14 and he played in every game.
Suggestions that we are about to dump Tua for Michael Penix seems ridiculous.
Yes Penix has potential but is untested in the NFL. Tua is the #7 rated NFL QB in the league.

Last edited:
It's April Fools, so instead of creating a stupid thread about Tyreek Hill being diagnosed with some rare exotic STD thats currenrly baffling scientists or something like that, I thought about the most outrageous take currently swirling around the Dolphins and it has to sit in Joel Klatts office.

He is adimit that the Dolphins should not only draft Penix, he also believes the Dolphins will be better with Penix than with Tua.

He thinks Penix is Taylor-made for McDaniels offense. "Dolphins offense needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

"They can then trade Tua to a offense that's a better fit for himself"

- Personally i don't think Penix is as good as Klatt says, he paints Penix as a better verson of Justin Herbert and the likleyhood of that being true is prob less than 1%. I think Penix takes too many risks with the ball and I see his ceiling for a player comp to be Jay Cutler. I'm not sure if Klatt is just pushing this for clicks or if he honestly thinks Penix is this kind of talent.

Curious to see what other ppl think about this "April Fools-like take" that Klatt has been spewing for the last 2 months.
Hypothetically, I wouldn't be totally against drafting a QB in theory.

Haven't studied Penix closely enough to have an educated opinion and I don't take others word for it in the case of such a huge change of direction.

From what I’ve read , Bo Nix is the only QB the Dolphins were sniffing around.

The Dolphins would have to hit some home run signings post June 1st cuts to make me think a QB would be even remotely possible in round 1. Maybe contract talks aren’t going as smooth as reported? 😁

I doubt Penix will be there, so they'd have to draft up which I doubt they would.

They should draft a QB early though. It's the most important position on the field.

1st = yards
3rd = completion %
5th = TDs
3rd = QB rating

OL = below average.

DL = depleted.

QB = at 21 :SPNK:

Tua = Lots of $ to play QB for a long time in Miami.

Penix = go to team with no QB.

21 = player to protect Tua, or hurt other team’s QB. (Not WR).

Joe Klatt = opinion not needed.

The Ghost = not fooling.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read , Bo Nix is the only QB the Dolphins were sniffing around.

The Dolphins would have to hit some home run signings post June 1st cuts to make me think a QB would be even remotely possible in round 1. Maybe contract talks aren’t going as smooth as reported? 😁
I never heard the descriptor of "smooth" being used by anyone in the know. The most I've heard out of McD is that they exist.

I honestly wonder how many people on here have actually gone into any depth looking at Penix.

First, I don't see the physical specimen some claim to. I don't think his arm strength is actually that far beyond Tua (if it is at all). His highlight reel is filled with 50/50 balls but most are 30-40 yards and we've already seen Tua push it to 50-yds when he has to.

Yes, Penix is better at the hole shot and occasionally throws a laser that Tua probably can't but is that really what this offense is missing--and does that justify a re-start at QB? Who exactly is Penix going to be chucking it up to in Miami, btw? All our WRs are small which is the opposite of what Penix needs.

Second, Penix has MAJOR accuracy issues stemming from his poor throwing mechanics. He's a project QB. Maybe after a full rookie season you could have him stepping into throws but I'm not sure he even understands the concept of ball placement to begin with. He would be such a major step backwards from Tua in this kind of offense which actually is based on timing and throwing to spots (accurately). Yes, the Washington offense was productive but look at those WRs. They were the ones making the heroic catches all the time. Rarely, if ever, did Penix do anything to help them out.

Lastly, Penix is mostly about throwing up 50/50 balls to his outside guys 1-on-1. There isn't much IQ to what he does. He's in huge jeopardy of being a bust because he really doesn't operate any kind of elaborate system (well). You'd really be banking on your ability to teach & refine him and trusting that he's willing to be a good student--a huge unknown with any prospect. It's one thing to take a risk like that if you're getting someone with moves like Lamar Jackson but that's not Penix's game. He's mobile but not amazingly so.

Look, I don't adore Tua the way some do, but I'm not going to advocate for the Dolphins just taking random shots and that's pretty much what Penix's game is all about.

I would love to scoop up someone like Penix with a mid-round pick because he's got some physical talent that could be developed on the bench--and God forbid it happen but it would be nice to have a talented back-up--but if it's going to cost me a R1 pick, no thank you.

Last edited:
Scouting on him is all over the board. Many have him going the middle of round 2 and a few in round 1. Some say he has terrible accuracy and others say he is comparable to Tua in terms of accuracy. There is really no consensus on what NFL GM's think of him as a prospect.

I'm not picking a QB anyway unless somebody falls to a day 3 round and we want to try to develop someone. We have some key focus area that need attention long before the QB position

I honestly wonder how many people on here have actually gone into any depth looking at Penix.

First, I don't see the physical specimen some claim to. I don't think his arm strength is actually that far beyond Tua (if it is at all). His highlight reel is filled with 50/50 balls but most are 30-40 yards and we've already seen Tua push it to 50-yds when he has to.

Yes, Penix is better at the hole shot and occasionally throws a laser that Tua probably can't but is that really what this offense is missing--and does that justify a re-start at QB? Who exactly is Penix going to be chucking it up to in Miami, btw? All our WRs are small which is the opposite of what Penix needs.

Second, Penix has MAJOR accuracy issues stemming from his poor throwing mechanics. He's a project QB. Maybe after a full rookie season you could have him stepping into throws but I'm not sure he even understands the concept of ball placement to begin with. He would be such a major step backwards from Tua in this kind of offense which actually is based on timing and throwing to spots (accurately). Yes, the Washington offense was productive but look at those WRs. They were the ones making the heroic catches all the time. Rarely, if ever, did Penix do anything to help them out.

Lastly, Penix is mostly about throwing up 50/50 balls to his outside guys 1-on-1. There isn't much IQ to what he does. He's in huge jeopardy of being a bust because he really doesn't operate any kind of elaborate system (well). You'd really be banking on your ability to teach & refine him and trusting that he's willing to be a good student--a huge unknown with any prospect. It's one thing to take a risk like that if you're getting someone with moves like Lamar Jackson but that's not Penix's game. He's mobile but not amazingly so.

Look, I don't adore Tua the way some do, but I'm not going to advocate for the Dolphins just taking random shots and that's pretty much what Penix's game is all about.

I would love to scoop up someone like Penix with a mid-round pick because he's got some physical talent that could be developed on the bench but if it's going to cost me a R1 pick, no thank you.
Even if one did look in depth, outsiders have no way of knowing if he was being coached to play a certain way due to philosophy and scheme that didn't want him doing more, or if he was being coached to play a certain way because they had no confidence that he couldn't do more.

Some say he has terrible accuracy and others say he is comparable to Tua in terms of accuracy.

There shouldn't be much discrepancy.

The throws on which he's "accurate" are those where he's got nothing between him and a defender or where he can throw deep to a WR running away from him.

It's clear as day that he struggles with layering his passes or "throwing with touch." Anytime he has to adjust the launch angle and drop it in behind someone with just the right amount of velocity, he ends up throwing an incompletion.

He consistently struggles with it all the time. He's not Chad Henne bad at it but it's a problem enough that in the NFL he's going to get exposed for it real quick. At best, I foresee him missing potentially TDs. It could also turn into an INT problem.

He's only accurate when he can rifle it to someone he's staring directly at and lean on the arm-strength.

Last edited:
I personally would never take Penix before the third round. His game has many question marks. I know some team will draft him early because until you have one that matches your system you just keep swinging.

Even if one did look in depth, outsiders have no way of knowing if he was being coached to play a certain way due to philosophy and scheme that didn't want him doing more, or if he was being coached to play a certain way because they had no confidence that he couldn't do more.

Yeah, but in defense of scouting, you watch the tape for what can be taken from it and do interviews with coaches to determine the stuff you're referring to. You don't make assumptions about what you're seeing. You may interview the player at the combine and ask how they read a certain play for instance. You may interview a HC or OC to determine what kind of adjustments a QB is making at the line.

The kinds of holes in Penix's game are ones that come up over and over and which deal with his inability to manage the offense (find the open man on a route concept versus snapping right over to his #1 favorite), to throw on schedule, to see/hit the underneath routes, to control ball placement, to step into throws, etc.

Penix really isn't a refined prospect. He's talented and he looks for the big play. In college, that's what leads to big production. When there's pressure he gets more aggressive and chucks it up. He's quite the opposite of what someone like Tua was coming out and way different than who Tua is today. Penix will motivate an entirely different offensive approach wherever he goes.

If we're talking fit, I think Bo Nix actually would be better in Miami's offense then Penix.

At least in the way McDaniel's offense currently functions, with quick, accurate passes to playmakers like Hill and Waddle.

Nix would also offer more athletic ability than Penix and Tua.

To be clear, I'm in build around Tua camp, but if the evaluation on any quarterback that drops to the Dolphins is higher than Tua do you pull the trigger?

It's at least a topic to discuss, especially with Tua's contract not settled.

Back
Top Bottom