What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

Wow, it's just an offseason, hypothetical conversation. Why do defensive?

TBH, I didn't even notice anyone throwing undue shade on Tua. It wasn't really about Tua.
I haven't either I was was just messing with Ricco Sauve

I haven't either I was was just messing with Ricco Sauve
I like having these types of hypothetical discussions as long as we can stay on topic and no one gets defensive for no reason.

It's April Fools day, if there was ever a day for having a discussion about the future of the QB position in 2024, it's today, we all know Tua is getting a new contract and there is 0.0% chance we draft a QB to replace Tua in this draft but it's still a fun discussion/exercise for some of us.

I wrote last week in the Draft forum that I thought Penix was my least favorite out of all top 6 QBs in this draft. I dont think he will end up a long term starter. With that being said, I think only Caleb Williams is intriguing enough to have a serious discussion about having the potential to be better than Tua. Or maybe Bo Nix, I wrote in that same draft forum post, I think Nix will have the best career out of this entire class and part of that is because he will most likley get drafted to a decent team bc of where he's gonna get drafted.

I really like Nix, if we did have hesitations about paying Tua and we took Nix in round 1 I wouldn't be mad. Greir is prob gonna waste our 1st rounder on another Corner that specializes in having his ass touch Lumber anyway.

I like having these types of hypothetical discussions as long as we can stay on topic and no one gets defensive for no reason.

It's April Fools day, if there was ever a day for having a discussion about the future of the QB position in 2024, it's today, we all know Tua is getting a new contract and there is 0.0% chance we draft a QB to replace Tua in this draft but it's still a fun discussion/exercise for some of us.

I wrote last week in the Draft forum that I thought Penix was my least favorite out of all top 6 QBs in this draft. I dont think he will end up a long term starter. With that being said, I think only Caleb Williams is intriguing enough to have a serious discussion about having the potential to be better than Tua. Or maybe Bo Nix, I wrote in that same draft forum post, I think Nix will have the best career out of this entire class and part of that is because he will most likley get drafted to a decent team bc of where he's gonna get drafted.

I really like Nix, if we did have hesitations about paying Tua and we took Nix in round 1 I wouldn't be mad. Greir is prob gonna waste our 1st rounder on another Corner that specializes in having his ass touch Lumber.

I'm not defensive i don't know how you got that I do like Nix and Penix also

A couple of ex GMs keep saying- draft a QB every year. You never know when you hit on an elite guy. Or when your starting QB get injured.
dont think Klatt is right saying Penix could be better than Tua in this system. But you never know.

I just laugh in here when posters get their feelings hurt or cant accept someone questioning Tua. Its insane.

All I know is I root for the team not just the QB. I dont care who the QB is.
All I know is this team needs to win games against the good teams.
Going 1-6 last year was pathetic and inexcusable.
The coaching staff has to better in those games. They have to get a competent OC. It was embarrassing in the playoff game when the team was down 3 scores with 20 minutes left and they couldnt run a hurry up offense.
The play calling in these games was putrid.
I went back and looked and Tua was 8 TDs / 7 INTs and only 62% completion pct. Bad Oline, bad game planning, poor QB play.
It has to better be this year.

A couple of ex GMs keep saying- draft a QB every year. You never know when you hit on an elite guy. Or when your starting QB get injured.
dont think Klatt is right saying Penix could be better than Tua in this system. But you never know.

I just laugh in here when posters get their feelings hurt or cant accept someone questioning Tua. Its insane.

All I know is I root for the team not just the QB. I dont care who the QB is.
All I know is this team needs to win games against the good teams.
Going 1-6 last year was pathetic and inexcusable.
The coaching staff has to better in those games. They have to get a competent OC. It was embarrassing in the playoff game when the team was down 3 scores with 20 minutes left and they couldnt run a hurry up offense.
The play calling in these games was putrid.
I went back and looked and Tua was 8 TDs / 7 INTs and only 62% completion pct. Bad Oline, bad game planning, poor QB play.
It has to better be this year.
When we just crumbled during the Tennessee game and turned into the same ol Dolphins, I knew right then the season was in trouble.

Lots of ppl point to the injuries but there was more too it, coaching, playcalling, lockerroom issues, something changed that week and the team never returned to the team they were to start the season.

Last edited:
When we just crumbled during the Tennessee game and turned into the same ol Dolphins, I knew right then the season was in trouble.

Lots of ppl point to the injuries but there was more too it, coaching, playcalling, lockerroom issues, something changed that week and the team never returned to the team the were to start the season.
Tennessee said it all

I have no problem with Miami drafting a QB but not to replace Tua. To come in and compete with Tua is fine. It could only push Tua to work harder with some competition. Then if he works out, if it's Penix, and if he's outplayed Mike White he could become the back up. Then we could cut Mike White and his salary. If Tua starts with Penix as backup we've strengthened the QB room and took steps to prepare for an injury to Tua. Maybe Penix is a Brock Purdy type that can step in and win right away. You never know until you try.
Obviously, we have much bigger needs than QB so there's that!! We have to see who drops to us and whats available on the board at 21 because we need to trade down at some point. No way we pick at 55 and watch over 100 players come off the board in a deep draft. We gotta play this one smart.

I have no problem with Miami drafting a QB but not to replace Tua. To come in and compete with Tua is fine. It could only push Tua to work harder with some competition. Then if he works out, if it's Penix, and if he's outplayed Mike White he could become the back up. Then we could cut Mike White and his salary. If Tua starts with Penix as backup we've strengthened the QB room and took steps to prepare for an injury to Tua. Maybe Penix is a Brock Purdy type that can step in and win right away. You never know until you try.
Obviously, we have much bigger needs than QB so there's that!! We have to see who drops to us and whats available on the board at 21 because we need to trade down at some point. No way we pick at 55 and watch over 100 players come off the board in a deep draft. We gotta play this one smart.
Sounds reasonable

I dont see us taking a QB in this draft at any point, were in win now mode and I think they are happy with White and Thompson as backups.

If we did take a QB it wouldn't be with our 1st or 2nd rounders so your looking at pick 158 or 184 and your just rolling a dice that comes up crap 99% of the time taking a QB that late.

This thread is a "What if?" type discussion, no one has ever really sided with Klatt and said that we should draft Penix.

If we're talking fit, I think Bo Nix actually would be better in Miami's offense then Penix.

At least in the way McDaniel's offense currently functions, with quick, accurate passes to playmakers like Hill and Waddle.

Nix would also offer more athletic ability than Penix and Tua.

To be clear, I'm in build around Tua camp, but if the evaluation on any quarterback that drops to the Dolphins is higher than Tua do you pull the trigger?

It's at least a topic to discuss, especially with Tua's contract not settled.
Bo Nix is old enough to be Tua's grandfather

Back
Top Bottom