What we need to do get to the Superbowl this year? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What we need to do get to the Superbowl this year?

Buy tickets. Just kidding.

First, every team that gets there needs a little luck. You can't have seven starters out on defense and have a real shot in the playoffs. So, Miami needs to be on the right side of injuries, fewer than league average, not major players etc. Tua, in particular, needs to stay healthy.

Would the Dolphins have made it to the super bowl this year with fewer injuries? I don't think so, but I do believe Miami would have won the division and possibly one playoff game.

Matching up better with Kansas City, Baltimore and Buffalo means a better running game, improving third down efficiency, and being able to pressure the quarterback from everywhere.

There are so many talented quarterbacks in the AFC that rushing the passer consistently is probably the biggest way to move forward.

I think an awful lot of the FH brothers want to double down on what didn't work... for instance...

1) Drafting another undersized speed reciever (claiming that more speed could add to the speed we already have... and give better coverage when Hill or Waddle are injured).

2) Drafting another 1st round DT to replace the one that just left. (Claiming... I'm not sure exactly... umm... he'd be just like Wilkins and... investing in DTs puts us over the top?)

3) Drafting another CB or a Safety that likely wouldn't start... because, umm... I'm not sure how this one helps either. I guess they think a rookie would immediately be ahead of Cam Smith and Ethan Bonner.

I would think the way forward would be to improve the areas where we were unsuccessful...

1) O Line quality and depth.

2) Pass protection from our RBs and an ability to actually catch an outlet pass regularly.

3) Some size at WR.

4) Another Edge as every team rotates them.

So I guess I don't get it.

I think the Dolphins are almost assured to go OT (who'll fill in at OG as a rookie) with their R1 pick but I see them going BPA in R2 for all the reasons you point out.

I believe our R2 pick will really be the most interesting.

I could imagine:

An OG who could be a long-term fix
A bigger WR to add diversity or even a speedy WR to eventually replace Hill
A TE because...why not?
A DT to strengthen the position
A CB for depth & long-term value

I think Grier is going to be open to a lot of alternatives based on what falls to us.

The only positions I'd feel confident eliminating are what we already have: QB, C, RB, Edge, MLB, S, etc.

The sucky part is we could start 9-0 and all of us would still be waiting for the collapse lol
Because that's what they do! One of these years this is bound to change, but I don't see that happening with Grier and McDaniel running things. And, Ross has shown that he ONLY hires Head Coaches who have little to no real experience as a Coordinator, so that doesn't help either.

Need to stay away from having to play at Arrowhead in January, no matter how healthy we may or may not be.
This is what I don't understand. Miami is in the odd position of being the only warm weather team in a division with three other cold weather teams. So, you'd think that they'd be somewhat used to playing in cold weather. IMO, the weather wasn't the biggest problem in KC, but the coaching decisions and playcalling combined with a few injuries.

By coaching decisions, I'm referring to the failure to make sure that they had a strong o-line heading into the season in case they had to rely on the running game on the road in January. And, in the Wild Card game, McDaniel's stubborn refusal to run the ball in the cold. Tua threw 39 times with just a 50% completion rate, and they ran it just 18 times. Also, it doesn't help that with a "laid-back" HC the team is somewhat undisciplined, and usually gets penalized more than their opponents. In the players' defense, a bunch of those offensive penalties are due to McDaniel not getting plays in quick enough, and some players not knowing what to do in his overly complicated offense.

TLDR version: IMO, Miami could have beat KC in the cold if they only had a better o-line (blame Grier and McDaniel) and someone with experience (anyone NOT named McDaniel) calling the plays on offense.

They need to be the New England Patriots, New England played football like it was a business, they had a QB that was an QB that had Ice water in his veins, you always had the feeling that they were going to pull the game out regardless of the weather or the other circumstances, I had zero confidence that the dolphins was going to beat KC in the playoffs last year and I have been a Dolphins fan since the inception of the team, they stopped doing what made them successful, need a Wr that can come in and stretch the defense when Hill or Waddle is out or nicked up, play down and distance football when it's dictated.
Need a Big running back that's physical and hard to tackle, stop allowing Tua to throw to Hill all the time, TE play was non existent last season.

We all know, just getting to the playoffs is not enough.
Just winning one playoff game this year is not enough.
We need to get to the Superbowl.
In order to do that, the team needs to be healthy down the stretch....I don't know how to do that - if anyone does, please advise.

However, assuming we enter the playoffs healthy this year, and play a playoff game or two in mild weather, I like our chances.

Leading up the draft, this is what I think we need to do:

1) 1st Round - Draft a starting caliber Offensive Lineman (or stud DL);
2) 2nd Round Draft a stud DL for the rotation; OR, draft WR3 that has the skills & the moxie to win the #3 spot over Cracraft/Berrios/EZ.
3) Sign Calais Campbell - he's old yes, but he's a stud and would be a solid tall, rangy, beefy lineman to add to the rotation with the other guys. We need as many bodies in the trenches as possible - see last year.
4) MCD must run the ball more on 3rd & short;
5) Throw the ball to our TE's more (and throw to our RB's out of the backfield WAY more.)
6) Blitz more than Fangio did.

What are your thoughts on what we need to do draft wise/free agent wise/process wise - to get to (& win) the dance next year?
A ticket!

Stay healthy enough that we can open up the whole playbook in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom