What we need to do get to the Superbowl this year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What we need to do get to the Superbowl this year?

embarrassing bro - Is the OC (or someone) going to help McD with this or what?
McDaniel needs to give up the playcalling and let someone with experience do it. Also, they need to prioritize the o-line this off-season, and Grier needs to let someone else build the o-line. If these things aren't done, then IMO both of these guys should be fired.

damn that is true…not only did were we 1-6 vs good teams…we looked limp/inept/awful in those games….offense couldn't do a damn thing…now what was the key reason? Offensive line, play calling…?

…or basically we were just were not good enough. Not talented enough.

If we need "a lot...quite a bit" like you say, then we're not going far this year.
Ya, not just 1-6 against winning teams but not really all that competitive in those games. Still there is always hope, like I said we need a really good draft here, not just the scheduled 6 picks but Grier going brainiac and moving around the board and/or tapping some of next year's picks to get a handful of impact players. We get more $$ after June 1 and if they do sign Tua long-term now that will provide some additional cap relief, will need to be active in the late free agency period.

Several of us have been talking about it for a while but our offense is close, close to being something really special but they just weren't able to get over the hump the last 2 years. Fill those holes. OL, a WR 3 with size, TE, a bigger RB, whatever they think they need to get there we need to hammer this year. A truly elite offense can carry this team pretty far even with a mediocre defense. Then again with hope, the defense improves as time goes on with a new coach, healing edge rushers and with the new players and or youth back there. We have a load of picks in 2025 too so I look at this as a two year run but think it needs to start with getting elite on offense, not just quick strike offense but ball control and consistency.

Ya, not just 1-6 against winning teams but not really all that competitive in those games. Still there is always hope, like I said we need a really good draft here, not just the scheduled 6 picks but Grier going brainiac and moving around the board and/or tapping some of next year's picks to get a handful of impact players. We get more $$ after June 1 and if they do sign Tua long-term now that will provide some additional cap relief, will need to be active in the late free agency period.

Several of us have been talking about it for a while but our offense is close, close to being something really special but they just weren't able to get over the hump the last 2 years. Fill those holes. OL, a WR 3 with size, TE, a bigger RB, whatever they think they need to get there we need to hammer this year. A truly elite offense can carry this team pretty far even with a mediocre defense. Then again with hope, the defense improves as time goes on with a new coach, healing edge rushers and with the new players and or youth back there. We have a load of picks in 2025 too so I look at this as a two year run but think it needs to start with getting elite on offense, not just quick strike offense but ball control and consistency.
Right. They weren't competitive against top teams, and their lone win against Dallas was a lucky win, considering that they scored just one TD and had to settle for five FGs. And, if they had only got four FGs and lost that game, they would have missed the playoffs.

This was not all due to injuries as many think. This was IMO mostly the fault of a HC/playcaller who is in over his head. McDaniel's offense looks good against bad teams, but a top team with a good defense can beat him, and they did because he has no idea how to counter what the defense is doing. Adding more weapons won't help, because even when Hill was covered, McDaniel still had Tua force the ball to him instead of throwing to someone else.

Miami's offense had the talent to score 10 TDs against Denver, but just one TD against Dallas and then one TD in the playoffs at KC. IOW, good defenses can easily shut down McDaniel's offense. O-line issues aside, Miami's offense has plenty of talent... it's the guy who is calling the plays that keeps them from beating the good teams.

Win the AFC championship game
Think About It GIF by Identity

Last part of last season was a fiasco

We all know, just getting to the playoffs is not enough.
Just winning one playoff game this year is not enough.
We need to get to the Superbowl.
In order to do that, the team needs to be healthy down the stretch....I don't know how to do that - if anyone does, please advise.

However, assuming we enter the playoffs healthy this year, and play a playoff game or two in mild weather, I like our chances.

Leading up the draft, this is what I think we need to do:

1) 1st Round - Draft a starting caliber Offensive Lineman (or stud DL);
2) 2nd Round Draft a stud DL for the rotation; OR, draft WR3 that has the skills & the moxie to win the #3 spot over Cracraft/Berrios/EZ.
3) Sign Calais Campbell - he's old yes, but he's a stud and would be a solid tall, rangy, beefy lineman to add to the rotation with the other guys. We need as many bodies in the trenches as possible - see last year.
4) MCD must run the ball more on 3rd & short;
5) Throw the ball to our TE's more (and throw to our RB's out of the backfield WAY more.)
6) Blitz more than Fangio did.

What are your thoughts on what we need to do draft wise/free agent wise/process wise - to get to (& win) the dance next year?
Better play calling on third and short
Fewer interceptions from Tua
Better clock management
Better luck with penalties being called against them
Fewer injuries
Better OL play
Better job containing scrambling QBs

This might not go down well with our Cheesehead admirer, but why the hell is the trophy not been renamed Shula?

We all know, just getting to the playoffs is not enough.
Just winning one playoff game this year is not enough.
We need to get to the Superbowl.
In order to do that, the team needs to be healthy down the stretch....I don't know how to do that - if anyone does, please advise.

However, assuming we enter the playoffs healthy this year, and play a playoff game or two in mild weather, I like our chances.

Leading up the draft, this is what I think we need to do:

1) 1st Round - Draft a starting caliber Offensive Lineman (or stud DL);
2) 2nd Round Draft a stud DL for the rotation; OR, draft WR3 that has the skills & the moxie to win the #3 spot over Cracraft/Berrios/EZ.
3) Sign Calais Campbell - he's old yes, but he's a stud and would be a solid tall, rangy, beefy lineman to add to the rotation with the other guys. We need as many bodies in the trenches as possible - see last year.
4) MCD must run the ball more on 3rd & short;
5) Throw the ball to our TE's more (and throw to our RB's out of the backfield WAY more.)
6) Blitz more than Fangio did.

What are your thoughts on what we need to do draft wise/free agent wise/process wise - to get to (& win) the dance next year?
Without better offensive and defensive play calling we are limiting ourselves. This is one area that the required action is the same as in baseball:
"Put it where they ain't"! - LOL

Back
Top Bottom