Who do you take? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do you take?

I could talk about this all day- enjoying this and hope I'm not rambling but have a lot of thoughts about the draft and the construction of the OL/offense.

Biggest mistake we made with the OL was in the 2020 draft. Were in striking distance of trading up for Tristan Wirfs and we stood pat and drafted AJ. Wirfs was ready to go right away bc of his strength, experience and maturity. AJ, obviously, was not close to ready and was a liability for 3 years. Wirfs became an all-Pro right away. I fear we make the same mistake if we reach for a RT we think can play LT or guard and say this kid will help us right away because he's got the measurables or played at Georgia, whatever.

I agree with you that this is not a good pass blocking unit at all. I think we're at the bottom of the league at the pass block win rate. I'm all for taking a better pass protector in round 1 if that guy can play right away and I hope I'm wrong but I don't see that guy in our range in the draft this year. We keep talking about a deep OL draft but is anybody really excited about an OL after the first 40 picks or so? I think Christian Haynes or Jordan Morgan is the line I'd draw and I'm not even sure those guys would contribute much right away.

That's the problem when you're picking late in the first round or you give up your first or second round picks. We're a win now team that needs a player who can come in right away and contribute. I think our best chance to get better blockers will come via trade or after 6/1. The other issue is that teams aren't cutting or trading good OL for the most part.

For me, the OL was at its worst two-three years ago when Jesse Davis was starting at either a tackle position or right guard. He routinely got his QB killed and was responsible for AJ Espenesa crushing Tua and breaking his ribs and may have been involved in that Bengals rag-doll tackle that almost got Tua killed.

I think McDaniel made the decision after the worst year in the history of Miami OL play that Tua HAS to get the ball out quick if he's going to survive. I don't know that it will change as it works well when we have enough healthy guys on the field. The OL last year had a much better PFF rating than in year's past despite their pass block struggles. A better scheme and coaching has helped and for whatever reason this coach and GM don't seem inclined to take OL high in the draft.

One last point on taking a WR- he's not really a 3rd receiver or a luxury if your two stars miss multiple games, and they will. I'm really concerned #10 has pushed his luck with Goodell too far and will pay for it. I think a lot of your points are correct but an O with only one scary receiver can too easily be shut down, no matter how good your OL is. Line up Cracraft and Berrios enough times and the D will blitz the hell out of our already suspect line.

I hate to give the Jets credit for anything but I will in this case. They knew they had to rebuild their OL with vets who could step in and protect Rodgers. I wish we had spent some of the money we had to pick up a better guard. I think Jack Driscoll might be a sleeper but I'll feel a lot better when they add at least one veteran guard who has a proven track record and has stayed healthy.

Bottom line is that I think we're both right but it's just a question of how you choose to address the problem.
The luxury pick claim is something I struggle with. If the player is the BPA, is that really a luxury? I know, I know. More goes into it. You have Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, you aren't taking a first round quarterback. I get that, but...

I, for one, would hate to miss out on some of these wide receivers. Maybe not at 21, but even 55. As you pointed out, this team was different when Hill and Waddle (Achane) were out.

It's pretty obvious Miami needs a third receiver, maybe someone more physical to balance out Hill and Waddle.

Hill and Waddle were playing hurt when they were in there. They weren't at their top speed and cutting abilities. Both missed games and played banged up. We need better luck with injuries.
Talk to the Almighty regarding injuries!

I wonder why people get this wrong so often. Then they're shocked that their 2nd rounder Tackle can't play Guard at all. Why be shocked, he never has?? Tunsil had played some Guard before he was a Dolphin at BYU so that's what we have to find if we're thinking that way. A players who's excelled at both positions at the college level. They're more rare than people think.
Yes, they are. We had a T picked at #18 in the 2020 draft who couldn't play LT or G very well.

Barton, Fatanu and JPJ are the only first rounders in our range who can play the spots on the OL we need but honestly, I think Troy and JPJ will be gone before we pick.

I wouldn't trust Latham or Mims at guard or LT because they haven't shown they can play it. I thought Latham was awful, his whole line was, too many times for Bama last year. Mims is too tall to play guard, I can't think of many guys who played G at 6'7" or 6'8". I think fans see him in the 20-32 range in mock drafts and think "that's the guy we need". We have a right tackle and Mims would be redundant in a year we need DT, G, S, WR and Edge players

Yes, they are. We had a T picked at #18 in the 2020 draft who couldn't play LT or G very well.

Barton, Fatanu and JPJ are the only first rounders in our range who can play the spots on the OL we need but honestly, I think Troy and JPJ will be gone before we pick.

I wouldn't trust Latham or Mims at guard or LT because they haven't shown they can play it. I thought Latham was awful, his whole line was, too many times for Bama last year. Mims is too tall to play guard, I can't think of many guys who played G at 6'7" or 6'8". I think fans see him in the 20-32 range in mock drafts and think "that's the guy we need". We have a right tackle and Mims would be redundant in a year we need DT, G, S, WR and Edge players
Off topic but i was driving through Morristown the other day. Traffic Square. Guy with dog statue. Nice town.

I ve come close in my younger years to hitting some drunken fools in the grill but thought better of it.

I'd like to trade back from 21 but not out of the first round. If we pick at 28 or 29 we can likely get one of your 3 choices and come away with a 3rd rounder. I'd be happy with going DT in the 1st if we don't love any of the oline on the board at the time. If we could land one of the top DTs we could replace our biggest off season loss, Wilkins. I love both DTs from Texas and there are 3 or 4 more guys that could help us right away. If we want Guards we probably should draft a Guard instead of a Tackle that must be converted.
Hoe about Barton then Sweat out of Texas.

I know it won't happen, but if the following players are there who do you take.

Brian Thomas WR
Byron Murphy DT
Amarius Mimms OL
Laiatu Latu Edge

Heck throw any other player in there as well.
Out of those four I would say Latu then Murphy. I actually like Legette if we go WR. I don’t like any of the other guys in that range.

Latu, Latham and Mims are a hard pass for me at 21.

Latu is honestly a talented player, but I don’t think we need another EDGE with a medical history like Phillips. Beyond that, we have a ton of clear holes in the roster and it would not make sense to pass over an equally talented player in a position of need for a luxury 3rd EDGE player.

Latham and Mims are not a fit for our offense. Neither has any experience at LT and only Latham has played OG. Mims is way too tall to slide inside to OG.

If we go OL I would expect Barton, JPJ or Fautanu. Guys that have some positional flexibility, but will play IOL.

I do not think we will go DL in the 1st unless we LOVE a guy like Murphy. Baltimore has a long history of making day 2 and 3 guys into respectable Pros.

Back
Top Bottom