Your Surprise Pick for Miami? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Surprise Pick for Miami?

I'm not predicting how he will turn out in the NFL; I'm just questioning whether he will be a first round pick. I have doubts.
I think he will...

Yes, he's a bit of a gamble and Verse is considered a stronger bet, but Chop is two years younger and he's the guy I'd be more interested in drafting.
A GM who is a gambler might bite. I would. My bias during the draft is always against the older guys.

I wonder if they’d actually view Cooper as a safety. He’s certainly in the “chess piece” mold of a guy who can play multiple roles in a defense. Looking at Baltimore’s defense and their desire to play big nickel (especially Kyle Hamilton taking a lot of slot cover in 2023), Weaver’s comments about moving Ramsey (bigger corner) around more, and DeJean’s versatility and size….. interesting.

Then you factor in the only highly touted DB we’ve brought in for a 30 visit is Calen Bullock, a 6’3 safety who HAS made a lot of plays covering the slot….. that’s obviously going to be a priority if they add to the DB room.

They’ve also spent a lot of time with quite a few potential day 3 safeties and corners who fit that profile.
You've read my mind. I agree with you 100%. Last year most fans were clamoring a TE. But Miami from the beginning of the draft process, were all over the CB's. This year it appears they've been focusing on the hybrid type DB's such as DeJean and Bullock, guys who can do multiple things, like what Baltimore does with its secondary. All of this, I inspite of the huge need along the offensive line. Another guy Miami has shown interest in is, Boston College CB Elijah Jones a bigger CB at 6'1" who's a great cover guy, who also offers versatility. There's a pattern and if you connect the dots, it's looking like Miami is serious about finding its own Kyle Hamilton type player.

I just don't see the value in using our 1st rounder on a guy to keep Cam Smith company on the bench.

Were in a Superbowl window. I just think a rookie corner gives us nothing next year.

I understand your point, our DBs are getting older but I'm personally just over spending resources on corners. Over the last 20 years, Corner is probably the one position group you can point too and say, "We've been good at this position for 20 years" and it's cost us a fortune in Cap space and a fortune in draft picks and what have we won in the last 20 years?

Jack ****!
One way to spend less on CBs is to draft good ones so you don't have to pay veterans at market price. But it is no more viable an option to go without great DBs than it is to go without great WRs. Both positions are susceptible to misses in the draft but gotta keep trying. I tend to favor CB slightly because if Hill and Waddle stay healthy there won't be many targets for anyone else--especially with the revamped TE room and the likelihood of RBs getting more action in the passing game. Meanwhile a high end DB can be put to use right now as we are one safety short and uncertain of quality depth at CB..

in my ideal draft we get one of the best DBs in round 1 then come back for Wilson or someone in that mold with the second rounder. Then find a couple O linemen later on.

When was the last time Miami took a IOL in the first round? It was Pouncey many moons ago when we needed a center.
Not gonna happen, Meks. Maybe in the second but there's probably better value available there, too

Just because you desperately want a Wilkins clone doesn't make the need for IOL less than what it is.

Go ahead and keep pretending the Fins didn't already sign a metric ass-ton of DTs already in free agency, while IOL remains the biggest hole on the roster.

You've read my mind. I agree with you 100%. Last year most fans were clamoring a TE. But Miami from the beginning of the draft process, were all over the CB's. This year it appears they've been focusing on the hybrid type DB's such as DeJean and Bullock, guys who can do multiple things, like what Baltimore does with its secondary. All of this, I inspite of the huge need along the offensive line. Another guy Miami has shown interest in is, Boston College CB Elijah Jones a bigger CB at 6'1" who's a great cover guy, who also offers versatility. There's a pattern and if you connect the dots, it's looking like Miami is serious about finding its own Kyle Hamilton type player.
I think safety is a bigger need than DT/DE or EDGE. The team might not extend Holland if he wants too much money. Poyer is a solid vet that has been injured a lot the last few years. It wouldn’t shock me if we took a guy like Cooper DeJean at 21.

I believe the defensive class this year is relatively weak on the top end, but deep with day 2 talent. I would be very surprised if we drafted anyone other than DeJean at 21. There will be a solid DT/DE, CB or safety available at 55.

Personally speaking, it would surprise me if we didn’t draft OL or WR at 21. The best players on offense will be long gone by 55. If this team wants to hang with the big boys, we cannot score 10 points a game when half our offense is hurt. If Thomas, or Latham or Fautanu are there at 21 Grier should be running to the podium.

11 WR's make more than the highest paid CB.

With Jefferson, Lamb, Chase, Waddle, and Smith due for new contract that will only increase.

If you think CB is a more premium position than WR, you're not paying attention.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_064155_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_064155_Chrome.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240409_064124_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_064124_Chrome.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 5
NFL-team-logo

Byron Murphy IIDT Texas
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Darius RobinsonEDGE Missouri

NFL-team-logo

Cole BishopS Utah
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Zak ZinterOG Michigan

NFL-team-logo

Javion CohenOG Miami (FL)

NFL-team-logo

Nehemiah PritchettCB Auburn

NFL-team-logo

Dominique HamptonS Washington
I like Zinter as well for this offense....good eyes.

11 WR's make more than the highest paid CB.

With Jefferson, Lamb, Chase, Waddle, and Smith due for new contract that will only increase.

If you think CB is a more premium position than WR, you're not paying attention.
And I think Miami will pay Waddle. Question is what happens to Hill? He's got an Enormous Cap Hit these next three years. The cynic in me says Miami may not keep him beyond 2025.

And I think Miami will pay Waddle. Question is what happens to Hill? He's got an Enormous Cap Hit these next three years. The cynic in me says Miami may not keep him beyond 2025.
I think they will pay him as well.. Tyreek has repeatedly said he was done after 2025 with no hesitantce or regret on his podcasts.

Back
Top Bottom