Dave Hyde On The Implosion Of The AFC East And What It Means For The Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Hyde On The Implosion Of The AFC East And What It Means For The Dolphins

It is interesting to me how many are able to so quickly write the Bill's off. They have won the division 3 or 4 years in a row, including beating us at home at the end last year. So until proven otherwise, it is still their show. They also have the advantage of being a cold weather team, and that is when the playoffs and crucial late season games happen. Hopefully we knock the Bill's off the pedestal this year - we have a decent chance. Personally, I am not taking the victory laps until we actually do it. Not to mention, I don't want to jinx it either. So fingers crossed.
Who wrote them off?

I think many are under estimating the Diggs effect.

Many are saying he didn’t do this and that.

His mere presence on the field dictated a lot of coverage.

Yeah, Kincaid…give me freaking break!
Diggs was the only weapon that was feared on Buffalo. Tbh, I didn’t think they were good last year. You’re not going anywhere when you turn the ball over like that. Now their defense is gutted, they have no weapons and a suspect coach that will likely be fired.

It's an opportunity for Miami.

I think the Jets will be better, but they are counting on a lot of vets to rebound including Rodgers. That's usually doesn't work out well.

New England has a chance to add a really good quarterback. That can start to change things for them in a positive way. Who knows about their new coach, but odds are he won't be as good as Bellichick. At least for 2024, have to think the Patriots will struggle.

I thought the Bills had peaked two years ago, after Miami nearly beat them with Skylar Thompson at quarterback and then the Bills were pounded by Cincinnati the following week. But Buffalo is still the team to beat.

Will be interesting to see what the draft brings and if the Dolphins have bridged the small gap when the season begins.
Unfortunately the Dolphins might have blown their best opportunity to win the division and make a deep playoff run last year.

Everything was going our way, and the Bills were losing games they normally used to win. Rodgers injury and the Pats anemic offense made them both irrelevant, they even both beat the Bills once each for us while we swept both of them.

2023 will also probably be the best roster the Dolphins will have in awhile due to our salary cap constraints coming home to roost this year.

At 9-3 and the Bills at 6-6 winning the division seemed like a forgone conclusion and we were thinking about the number 1 seed in the AFC.

Then everything changed in week 14 with the Bills unexpected victory in KC and the Dolphins implosion against the Titans on MNF. Weirdly enough both of those games could have gone the other way if not for a couple of penalties. Kadarius Toney's infamous offsides penalty on the Kelce hook and lateral play for a TD and Chubb's helmet toss on MNF which cost us 4 points in a game we lost by 1 point. If not for just 1 of those penalties we would have won the division.

We should have at the worst been the 2 seed and broken our 23 year playoff victory drought and hosted another playoff game which we might have won if not for the insane amount of injuries we sustained in the final couple weeks of the regular season.

What was looking like a dream season turned into just another typical Dolphins letdown.

Hyde’s lost his fastball. I’m just sick of the constant negativity. We’re in the midst of the best dolphin era of football this century. Maybe some need to adjust their expectations because this team isn’t going undefeated. Let’s enjoy the ride. We’re building a winning culture and if we can be good enough to host a few playoff games we are in a good position to make the afc championship and anything can happen.

Underestimated, overestimated, I have no idea. All I know is he cooked our coverage. Gabe Davis also made us look lame, and they're both gone.

Even if they nail the draft and FA pick-up, they're bound to dip a little bit there...is it enough? We'll see.

They seemed to have lost a lot on defense too, maybe more than offense, so hopefully that leans our way.
It’s because it’s all Allen. One of the best QBs off script will make time to find any scrub WR wide open.

Unfortunately the Dolphins might have blown their best opportunity to win the division and make a deep playoff run last year.

Everything was going our way, and the Bills were losing games they normally used to win. Rodgers injury and the Pats anemic offense made them both irrelevant, they even both beat the Bills once each for us while we swept both of them.

2023 will also probably be the best roster the Dolphins will have in awhile due to our salary cap constraints coming home to roost this year.

At 9-3 and the Bills at 6-6 winning the division seemed like a forgone conclusion and we were thinking about the number 1 seed in the AFC.

Then everything changed in week 14 with the Bills unexpected victory in KC and the Dolphins implosion against the Titans on MNF. Weirdly enough both of those games could have gone the other way if not for a couple of penalties. Kadarius Toney's infamous offsides penalty on the Kelce hook and lateral play for a TD and Chubb's helmet toss on MNF which cost us 4 points in a game we lost by 1 point. If not for just 1 of those penalties we would have won the division.

We should have at the worst been the 2 seed and broken our 23 year playoff victory drought and hosted another playoff game which we might have won if not for the insane amount of injuries we sustained in the final couple weeks of the regular season.

What was looking like a dream season turned into just another typical Dolphins letdown.
When Phillips went down in the Jets game, that's when I thought things started going in the wrong direction for Miami.

To that point, the Dolphins were surviving injuries on the offensive line etc.

I know injuries are part of the game, but Miami was hit hard. I feel that's the primary reason the season went south.

Who knows what 2024 will bring. Too early to tell, but more talent has left the building than has joined the team. Grier obviously had tough decisions to make.

Last edited:
It’s because it’s all Allen. One of the best QBs off script will make time to find any scrub WR wide open.
Lol. What exactly has Allen accomplished? He came close to beating KC a few years ago. That’s it. He’s the most overrated player I can remember. Buffalo’s window is closed and it was closed last year too. Their coach will be fired after this season guaranteed.

When Phillips went down in the Jets game, that's when I thought things started going in the wrong direction for Miami.

To that point, the Dolphins were surviving injuries on the offensive line etc. and surviving.

I know injuries are part of the game, but Miami was hit hard. I feel that's the primary reason the season went south.

Who knows what 2024 will bring. Too early to tell, but more talent has left the building than has joined the team. Grier obviously had tough decisions to make.
I remember being really mad about the Phillips injury but I still thought we were going to make a deep playoff run since at that time he was the only starter who was lost for the season.

I thought the Titans game was what changed everything. Thats the game we lost Connor Williams for the season and Tyreek Hill got injured and was never the same for the rest of the season. Compound that with losing a game that as it turned out ruined our season and made the difference between being the 2 seed and the 6 seed.

Then the injury bug spiraled out of control.

Waddle got injured against the Cowboys. X and Chubb against the Ravens. Then Baker and Van Ginkel against the Bills. Mostert was also injured.

Its just a shame the way the season ended with how promising of a season it was looking like until the Titans game.

First link is the Hyde article. I agree on the Patriots (schadenfreude remains one of my favorite concepts), I would not write off the Jets there is a chance they could be pretty darn good, and I am uncertain on Buffalo as they still have Josh Allen and sometimes getting rid of a guy can be addition by subtraction. Having said all of that, I still like our chances. 2nd link, Vegas still has Buffalo very slightly favored over Miami to win the AFC East. Jets in shouting distance, and the Rats nowhere to be found!

I agree.
Bills - defending champs until beaten. They have their franchise QB.
Jets - with Rodgers they will always have a chance.
Pats - likely last place and the team we must sweep.
Us - time will tell. Tua stays healthy? OL gets help? McD grows as a HC? Our D has a new DC, does it work out?

Back
Top Bottom