"Mike McDaniel cries a lot and that makes the players want to play harder" says one veteran | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Mike McDaniel cries a lot and that makes the players want to play harder" says one veteran

I don't think fear or adoration are what move teams forward. There are examples of both which have gone on to win and lose. The correlation isn't clear. And very few successful leaders were feared or adored 100% of the time anyway. People and situations don't allow for that.

Moreover, a few generations isn't enough to change what humans fundamentally want. Society changes but the people within it act according to the pressures the same way as always. People don't change. NFL players want success. It's not complicated.

I think what a player wants from his environment is to feel like he can trust his teammates and coaches. That means those guys help make you better and make clear what they expect of you. They are honest and up front but also inclusive. All those things help to form the bonds we talk about. That's why I say "trust." If you trust the guys around you and they are clear and consistent with how they treat you, especially the leaders, you'll give your best efforts when called upon.

On that, I think McDaniel is in a bit of a 'prove-it' situation. His offense has come out strong each of the last couple seasons but it's ended with disappointment both years as the offense began to stumble. The same pressure is on Tua's shoulders. Another year ending in disappointment and a lot of the trust those two have built up among the players will erode away.

Being a nice guy will get your liked but winning is what teams are built on. Continually coming up short doesn't last forever. Wilkins was here for 5 years and was alright with walking away and starting anew somewhere else. I hope in the future we can get to a point where guys don't think, 'yeah, 5 years in Miami is enough for me.'

Trust me, those decisions do not come down to just money. Hunt leaving for money to go to a terrible team is one thing. Wilkins leaving is a sign that the bonds aren't entirely formed in Miami--that players are not entirely convinced of what Miami is building.

If the players are to trust those in charge, they have to see inspiring things. I think it's that simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom