New offseason training for Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New offseason training for Tua

I hear you, however contextually it is in this thread. It was not a shot at the poster, but anyone who thinks Tua is just doing this for more money. He has spent his own money every offseason to target ways to improve....and he has.
I disagree.

The context, IMO, was not reading all that much into the tweet/situation, as it's standard practice for ppl to hype this sort of thing when, in reality, training and trying to be in the best "shape" possible is nothing unusual. Most players do it.

Do you think Tua is a rarity in this respect? He isn't. I wouldn't call it a "nothing burger", but it isn't that big of a deal either.

I disagree.

The context, IMO, was not reading all that much into the tweet/situation, as it's standard practice for ppl to hype this sort of thing when, in reality, training and trying to be in the best "shape" possible is nothing unusual. Most players do it.

Do you think Tua is a rarity in this respect? He isn't. I wouldn't call it a "nothing burger", but it isn't that big of a deal either.
You read it just as I intended it. It's tongue-in-cheek. I like Tua. I'm just concerned he is going to get a huge contract that hamstrings the team from fielding a complete roster so he can go win a Superbowl. All this news about his training is just off-season fluff. Maybe he'll come in next season moving around a lot. Most people think Tua is slow and immobile, but he is anything but. He's slippery and able to avoid tacklers. Last season, he chose to go down easy rather than leave the pocket. Consequently, he played a full season. Now, he's trying to improve mobility again.

There is a problem. That problem is that he has to know when to do what, and he demonstrates that he doesn't think well on his feet. Last year he made a run on third down, came up short, AND dove head first. He's a smart guy, but those are the wrong things to do there...

Bummer I was expecting an upgrade from Jujitsu.... something like
john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2

john wick GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2

It's just the general narrative around Tua this particular off-season. He's hired a personal QB coach. He's working on new footwork to make himself for mobile. Now he's going to be training with 3DQB.

All of these things coincide with the off-season he's expected to get a big contract extension. It's the typical "<player> is in the best shape of his life" PR speak. The quote is from "source" and might as well be directly from Tua's agent. Last off-season, it was "he's learning kung-fu to help with taking falls." šŸ˜†
It was Jui Jitzu, and it worked really well! I hope his training this offseason works half as well! He makes an effort every offseason to improve part of his game! We just need to be patient! Hard for us Dolphins fans.

damn i should've posted on april 1st a thread to say he's training this offseason with John Daly....sheeesh i missed out.

It'll be good for him. he does get a little careless with his feet positioning at times. To me i think it would be worth it for him to bring his QB coach too. Hell maybe pay for him to be there a little extra longer. Sometimes we make adjustments in some aspect of our life and its for the good, then without realizing it, we slowly regress to back the way it was. If he has an extra set of trained eyes on him all the time, maybe he can yell Tua, that big toe is slowly starting to drift....or whatever

Last edited:
You read it just as I intended it. It's tongue-in-cheek. I like Tua. I'm just concerned he is going to get a huge contract that hamstrings the team from fielding a complete roster so he can go win a Superbowl. All this news about his training is just off-season fluff. Maybe he'll come in next season moving around a lot. Most people think Tua is slow and immobile, but he is anything but. He's slippery and able to avoid tacklers. Last season, he chose to go down easy rather than leave the pocket. Consequently, he played a full season. Now, he's trying to improve mobility again.

There is a problem. That problem is that he has to know when to do what, and he demonstrates that he doesn't think well on his feet. Last year he made a run on third down, came up short, AND dove head first. He's a smart guy, but those are the wrong things to do there...
I think we can all agree, Tua needs to learn "when" and "how" to run. It is an aspect of his game that if he improves can make the offense that more dangerous.

I think we can all agree, Tua needs to learn "when" and "how" to run. It is an aspect of his game that if he improves can make the offense that more dangerous.
This is on point. Tua strives to be heroic and will sometimes stand tall in the pocket to get a pass off only to get killed in the process. Slipping out of the pocket and rolling out would add that whole other dimension if he can stretch plays.

Iā€™ve been to a few prof clinics in La and Virginia and have studied the philosophies of some of these Qb coaches.

Itā€™s kind of similar to swing theory and the plane of the swing in golf.

Imo I donā€™t think thereā€™s much to do in the throwing mechanics dept for Tua, kind of like Marino in that regard where your not gonna tweak anything because itā€™s so natural, and just perfect for lack of a better word, the accuracy and the quickness is already there, you donā€™t want to tweak something that has been perfected in a natural way, and we know that Tua has the fastest release in the game, and heā€™s the most innately accurate Qb in the game, the mechanics for which he throws a football is set up for that type of speed and accuracy, itā€™s practically built into the mechanics.

So, weā€™re left with core strength and footwork, these are the areas for which Tua can improve.

When you talk core strength, there are many reasons why Iā€™ve been against the strategy of Tua gaining bad weight to combat his concussions theory, itā€™s just plain bad advice from people who donā€™t quite understand the genetics part of his physique.

Gaining weight and gaining core strength couldnā€™t be more toxic for each other.

You can gradually build muscle mass, gradually lose fat at the same time, you change the ratio over time by building solid lean muscle while building that core strength you speak of.

That equally added core strength, added muscle, and if done right, you have added speed and agility. Weā€™re only talking about a few lbs of pure muscle every year doing it that way, which is always the right way for a pro athlete.

So what your trying to create in Tua is a better body fat percentage, resulting in quickness and speed, while using some core strength principles in the process, which will create a faster, stronger, a qb with more velocity, without adding bad fat, which he absolutely did last year.

This is on point. Tua strives to be heroic and will sometimes stand tall in the pocket to get a pass off only to get killed in the process. Slipping out of the pocket and rolling out would add that whole other dimension if he can stretch plays.
remember the San Diego game?

He stepped up in the pocket in an aggressive nature and shredded that defense, that part of his game disappeared shortly thereafter.

Tua still has not mastered that part that art of the game, not close.

Hoping these coaches see that and work on that but Iā€™d be surprised if they do

Back
Top Bottom