Trade down with #21 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down with #21

San Francisco is apparently one of the teams who have acquired about trading up with us.
The problem with trading down with them is its so far all the way to 31.

If they end up trading Ayuik, I could see them wanting to trade up for Thomas.

I wonder what our options would be at 31.

Seems like it would reduce your chances for sure. I wonder how many picks we would have to receive in order for several lower round picks to equal our current 21 and 55.
I’ve been a fan since 1966. Trading down hasn’t historically worked out well for the MD.

I would only agree to a pre-draft trade down if there was a team willing to overpay for the privilege. Any offer that looked like a traditional offer would be placed on the 'call us when we are on the clock' list.

That said... if someone makes a stupid early offer, you take it.

Jevon Holland and Robert Hunt were early 2nd round picks. Holland is a better pro than the 11 players taken before him and just about every player between his selection and Phillips at 18.

There were as many pro bowlers drafted in the 2nd round in 2020 when Hunt was drafted, that were drafted in the first round, minus the 3 QB's taken in the top 5. And that's not including a bunch of a quality players like Tee Higgins, Xavier McKinney, Kyle Dugar and Michael Pittman Jr. drafted in the second round who haven't qualified as "pro bowlers" yet.

The 21st pick in 2020 was Jalen Raegor. Who went ahead of Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman Jr and Tee Higgins. After the top 15-20 picks, its more about the evaluator than anything. 20-35 aren't so different in terms of potential and bust factor.
Agree. Our evaluation gave us Cam Smith & Channing Tyndall.

The problem with trading down with them is its so far all the way to 31.

If they end up trading Ayuik, I could see them wanting to trade up for Thomas.

I wonder what our options would be at 31.
Xavier Legette should be there if they trade up with us for another player. He would be worth taking at that slot because you could exercise the 5th year option on him like the Dolphins like to do with Tua, Waddle, and Phillips to balance out their mis-managed cap. LOL

Damn Largo I didn't know you were team Thomas Jr. too!

Hes my #1 choice at #21, has been for a while.
I think Thomas is arguably the best player we could potentially draft at #21. Extending Waddle is going to be expensive. Would be nice to have a 3rd option with true #1 WR potential on the roster for reassurance.

Also, I want OL as much as the next guy, but I think the best options will be gone at 21. If teams view JPJ as a pure center he could slide out of the 1st round. Or be an option later in the 1st if we trade down.

Agree. Our evaluation gave us Cam Smith & Channing Tyndall.

Tindall was the 102nd Pick in the draft and I still have incredibly high hopes for Cam Smith, he was one of my favorite players last year. Getting hurt in the preseason didn’t help his immediate cause either.

There’s a big difference between the top of the second round and the bottom of the second round. Plenty of good players fall into the 30s and in a draft as deep as this one, it’s an ideal spot to be if you can pick up serious assets.

Last edited:
San Francisco is apparently one of the teams who have acquired about trading up with us.
You know this, how? Do you have inside information from the Dolphins or 49er’s or is this just an opinion on your part?

I would only agree to a pre-draft trade down if there was a team willing to overpay for the privilege. Any offer that looked like a traditional offer would be placed on the 'call us when we are on the clock' list.

That said... if someone makes a stupid early offer, you take it.
I would only trade down if a team was willing to give up their 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick and their 2025 first round pick. That would be a trade I could live with.

You know this, how? Do you have inside information from the Dolphins or 49er’s or is this just an opinion on your part?
It has been brought to my attention from posts on other sites that this has been discussed.

I would only trade down if a team was willing to give up their 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick and their 2025 first round pick. That would be a trade I could live with.
I don't believe any team would give up a 2025 1st round pick to move up 11 spots at the most. So, I don't think you will be in the trade-down market.

Due to teams in the top 20 overdrafting QB, and a run on either OT or WR, several outstanding players will drop to 21. If one of the stud OTs drop, pick him. Otherwise the BPA will probably be at DT or Edge. Trading back more than 2 spots would deprive us of a chance to draft a difference maker IMO.
So many posts and tweets saying something akin to: "I love (fill in the blank), but I doubt he'll be there for the Phins". But multiple of those (not all) will be available. Yep-Somebody's gonna fall.

If six quarterbacks go before 21, some really good talent will be there for Miami. Especially if they are looking defense.

That 25 spot could work, maybe netting a 3rd or 4th to the Dolphins. But not sure the team would move much further down. If at all.
IMO the range for # of CB's before 21 is 1-5. Will make a huge difference in who's available to us.

Back
Top Bottom