What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

Also another thing that gets me in this ridiculousness (not your premise of the thread Chad) but stating how penix would be a great fit for the offense with:

“needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

….. is that not describing Tua to a t pretty much? I mean what

But hey I suppose the idea in of itself isn’t so bad for a thread, just if it’s wise to gamble on a new qb to start over. In our scenario I’d go with no in the current situation

But hey I suppose the idea in of itself isn’t so bad for a thread, just if it’s wise to gamble on a new qb to start over. In our scenario I’d go with no in the current situation

Depending upon which position they attack at 21 (or if they trade down), I’d be much more ok taking a flier on Penix as competition to Tua with their #55 pick.

If he was on the board at 55, I’d have no problem taking him there. Unlike many, I don’t see a problem creating competition at all positions and the Dolphins have nobody behind Tua to offer that right now.

But over-drafting him at 21 creates multiple problems the Dolphins don’t need. They need to add a nice complimentary piece at 21 and not start a QB controversy by using a FRP on a position they already have a more than capable starter.

Did you just compare Penix to Dan Marino?

Really?

That's what you got out of what I said...<sigh>

Look at it this way. I don't care who it is at QB....for whatever reason too many posters on here have always acted as if ANY qb brought in to compete is a cardinal sin worthy of death the way they act.

heads GIF

I say BPA and if it's a QB, so what?

Last edited:
Woodley never threw more td’s then ints in Miami and your comparing him to a guy that lead the nfl in passing yards and rating in back to back years with a 2:1 and 3:1 td to int ratio the last two years and you think that’s a similar comparison?

Now throw in the fact that Marino was without a doubt a top 5 pick who fell due to “character concerns” but still regarded as a top tier qb to Michael Penix which makes your comparison even crazier…

Where did I mention penix anywhere?

BTW, So if Marino did some voodoo magic and turned 21 again you'd say **** off because you got Tua and his great stats?

Point is AGAIN...too many people here flip out if ever any conversation is brought up about bringing in another QB unless they are obvious backup trash...because apparently no matter who our starting Qb has been...if you bring in a guy that's got any potential...**** it not even flat out compete...just sit behind whomever is starting... people here flip out as if it's the end of the world because the starter apparently can't handle having a backup worth anything....ohhhhh noooooo Miami has a capable guy behind the starterrrrrr omgz ...for ****s sake people (apparently though we can bring in 500 other guys to compete or just be an awesome backup at any other position....and that's OK though...but qb no...never...nope...)

Scared Family Guy GIF

Last edited:
Penix is 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Guess you didn’t watch Penix at all the last two years as he didn’t run the ball much at all. The only reason White was drafted was to run that stupid wildcat crap. And we all know how that worked out.

Lousy comparison. Not even close to being the same size either. Penix is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier.
Still looks like White on the field when white was at WV.

Last warning for what? I replied to the moderator. And am now replying to YOU. What does the ignore feature have to do with that?

So, are you guys going to “mod” and merge this thread with the other just like it or just ignore the request?

I’m simply asking for consistency from you guys.
I'm going to ignore the request. Why do you care? Ppl are not required to view any thread if they believe it is redundant and in this case, I don't see the redundancy anyway.

Reading through the multiple reports, my impression is that a mountain is being made of a mole hill.

The "use the ignore feature" comment was due to the confrontational nature of interaction between two specific posters.

Where did I mention penix anywhere?

BTW, So if Marino did some voodoo magic and turned 21 again you'd say **** off because you got Tua and his great stats?

Point is AGAIN...too many people here flip out if ever any conversation is brought up about bringing in another QB unless they are obvious backup trash...because apparently no matter who our starting Qb has been...if you bring in a guy that's got any potential...**** it not even flat out compete...just sit behind whomever is starting... people here flip out as if it's the end of the world because the starter apparently can't handle having a backup worth anything....ohhhhh noooooo Miami has a capable guy behind the starterrrrrr omgz ...for ****s sake people (apparently though we can bring in 500 other guys to compete or just be an awesome backup at any other position....and that's OK though...but qb no...never...nope...)

Scared Family Guy GIF

I mean one might assume you’re talking about Penix since that’s what this thread is about bud….

Can’t believe I mentioned Penix in response to your post in a thread about…… Penix…. Absolutely wild stuff here

Also another thing that gets me in this ridiculousness (not your premise of the thread Chad) but stating how penix would be a great fit for the offense with:

“needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

….. is that not describing Tua to a t pretty much? I mean what

Penix ceiling is current Tua with a much lower floor. This might be okay however I’m not sure we’ve seen Tua’s ceiling just yet.

Really?

That's what you got out of what I said...<sigh>

Look at it this way. I don't care who it is at QB....for whatever reason too many posters on here have always acted as if ANY qb brought in to compete is a cardinal sin worthy of death the way they act.

heads GIF

I say BPA and if it's a QB, so what?
Fair point.

I would say QB is a little different when one is debating BPA, in that aside from Center, it is really the only position where only one player at a time can get an opportunity ,barring injury, to contribute a significant number of snaps, so taking one high that you don't expect to get playing time has different considerations. Sure, you can certainly draft a guy to develop for a year before playing but that is usually done when you either have a bridge guy, or a guy nearing the end of his career as a starter.

For example, if you draft a Corner or Pass rusher, at least you can use him situationally, getting something out of him immediately while working him into the rotation. Even an Olineman, if he's a high pick you are certainly hoping he will be a starter his first year, even if not day one.

I mean one might assume you’re talking about Penix since that’s what this thread is about bud….

Can’t believe I mentioned Penix in response to your post in a thread about…… Penix…. Absolutely wild stuff here

You didn't answer the Marino question....actually you did (sort of) when you seemed to defend the drafting of him despite having a qb that helped get the team to the SB...doesn't mean I'm comparing anyone other than the situation where Shula saw a guy he thought highly of and despite having someone there he jumped at the chance to get his BPA ...

This thread was about penix (you dont have to be a smart ass about it - opps too late), but had you actually cared to comprehend what i said youd have noted that people started to, as usual, go crazy if it's anything related to the qb position oh nooo...can't have anything to do with that....competition...or capable backup....no no no....🤦‍♂️...in the end if a QB that Grier likes falls to him, I am not going to crucify him for the pick simply just because he may push Tua (or not)...now I wouldn't pick a qb...but thats another story...

Fair point.

I would say QB is a little different when one is debating BPA, in that aside from Center, it is really the only position where only one player at a time can get an opportunity ,barring injury, to contribute a significant number of snaps, so taking one high that you don't expect to get playing time has different considerations. Sure, you can certainly draft a guy to develop for a year before playing but that is usually done when you either have a bridge guy, or a guy nearing the end of his career as a starter.

For example, if you draft a Corner or Pass rusher, at least you can use him situationally, getting something out of him immediately while working him into the rotation. Even an Olineman, if he's a high pick you are certainly hoping he will be a starter his first year, even if not day one.

Oh I completely agree...I just think that an open mind to that position isn't a bad thing....if Grier has an opportunity like Shula where a top qb prospect falls to him...it can be any of the top qbs....and he honestly believes that it'd be best for us to draft him...I'm not going to damn him for it....then again I say that because of Dan but oh boy when Parcells went with Pat White I admit i was NOT on board 😂 (yes I know white wasn't a top qb nor a 1st rounder for those already thinking crazy)....

A couple of ex GMs keep saying- draft a QB every year. You never know when you hit on an elite guy. Or when your starting QB get injured.
dont think Klatt is right saying Penix could be better than Tua in this system. But you never know.

I just laugh in here when posters get their feelings hurt or cant accept someone questioning Tua. Its insane.

All I know is I root for the team not just the QB. I dont care who the QB is.
All I know is this team needs to win games against the good teams.
Going 1-6 last year was pathetic and inexcusable.
The coaching staff has to better in those games. They have to get a competent OC. It was embarrassing in the playoff game when the team was down 3 scores with 20 minutes left and they couldnt run a hurry up offense.
The play calling in these games was putrid.
I went back and looked and Tua was 8 TDs / 7 INTs and only 62% completion pct. Bad Oline, bad game planning, poor QB play.
It has to better be this year.

First off the “draft a qb every year is referring to later round picks not taking a guy in the 1st or 2nd with limited draft capital and you just cleaned house due to cap issues and need to get some quality cheap starters. Throw in you just had a qb that lead the league in passing yards and rating in back to back years and it doesn’t apply to this situation.

If Penix is there in the 4th sure take a flyer but don’t confuse people being reluctant to draft a qb in the 1st as opposed to a qb in 4-7. Those are completely different occasions.

As for the second part of your post I agree. I’m not a fan of McDaniel calling plays. He’s a great schemer but bad to average play caller. His scheme is good enough to make him look good vs teams that aren’t ready or aren’t good but as shown we were one of the worst 2nd half offenses in the league. First 3-4 drives that were scripted and planned Miamis offense was unstoppable but once defenses caught on and McDaniel couldn’t pre plan drives due to being the head coach and having to watch the defense even bad team’s adjusted to an extent and the offense was less efficient. Good teams adjust even faster. Tua is great when the play is there and when it’s schemed up and open Tua is making that throw 90% of the time however McDaniel starts calling plays like he’s playing a game of madden and starts spamming the same things that were working until defenses adjusted.

It’s comical when people say Tua is holding McDaniel back when McDaniel did Tua zero favors by constant bad decisions with abandoning the run, situational calls, getting the plays in late then constant motion combined with late plays that allowed no time for Tua to change blocking assignments or plays. Towards the last month our offense was stagnant consisting of 20+ yard passes to the middle, outside tosses that resulted in big gains half of the time and 7 yard losses the other half and backwards screens. That’s pretty much it. Zero in the the positive short game which actually helps a qb.

You didn't answer the Marino question....actually you did (sort of) when you seemed to defend the drafting of him despite having a qb that helped get the team to the SB...doesn't mean I'm comparing anyone other than the situation where Shula saw a guy he thought highly of and despite having someone there he jumped at the chance to get his BPA ...

This thread was about penix (you dont have to be a smart ass about it - opps too late), but had you actually cared to comprehend what i said youd have noted that people started to, as usual, go crazy if it's anything related to the qb position oh nooo...can't have anything to do with that....competition...or capable backup....no no no....🤦‍♂️...in the end if a QB that Grier likes falls to him, I am not going to crucify him for the pick simply just because he may push Tua (or not)...now I wouldn't pick a qb...but thats another story...

I mean there’s not a single qb in this draft that’s comparable to Marino coming out so don’t see the point?

In general yeah you’re always looking for a deal. Even though not a caleb Williams fan if he falls to 21 you take him due to his prospect rating. That’s a top pick falling like Marino did. However as we’ve established with the title the thread is on Penix who’s probably more of a 3rd round grade qb if we are being honest. Taking him at 21 is a major reach, not a steal.

Back
Top Bottom