Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think?

Tua certainly does not have all the leverage. Players are generally very leery of playing on the final year of a deal due to the market for their services plummeting if they suffer an injury that year which happens to a great number of players at all positions each and every year. The security of being signed for several years with $100+ million in guaranteed money is hard to turn a blind eye at.
That is a very good point too. Will be interesting how these plays out. We agree, the dolphins do have leverage and it is their job to use it

That is a very good point too. Will be interesting how these plays out. We agree, the dolphins do have leverage and it is their job to use it
So you actually like Tua as long as he is cheaper than Allen, Lamar or Herbert? You know those big mobile type QBs some are always on about... especially the ones with rings.

If Tua hit the open market or if a team traded for Tua, he would get a top 5 QB contract based off last year's statistics.

If we do resign Tua for less than Herbert & Burrow, it's a huge Win for Grier.

I just don't see a world where Tua doesn't get a new contract soon and I bet it's gonna look pretty damn close to the other guys mentioned above.

So you actually like Tua as long as he is cheaper than Allen, Lamar or Herbert? You know those big mobile type QBs some are always on about... especially the ones with rings.
Lol...... He, and others, are not being honest in their arguments, IMO. They pound the table for a "cheap deal", when in reality that is a flawed argument.

If one thinks Tua is good enough to compete for Championships, then what difference does a few mil make? If one doesn't think that is the case, why resign him at all?

I understand wanting the team to get the best deal they can, but I think that's just blowing smoke. What they really want is a different QB, and are arguing the contract numbers as a justification.

The fact is, and knowledgeable ppl know this, that a 48m per contract or a 55m per contract are just hype numbers for a press release. Both could have the same bottom line as far as term and guarantees. At least close enough as to make no appreciable difference. Even Omar is smart enough to realize PR contract numbers are not real. The substance in the details and structure, not the advertisement.

Last edited:
Lol...... He, and others, are not being honest in their arguments, IMO. They pound the table for a "cheap deal", when in reality that is a flawed argument.

If one thinks Tua is good enough to compete for Championships, then what difference does a few mil make? If one doesn't think that is the case, why resign him at all?

I understand wanting the team to get the best deal they can, but I think that's just blowing smoke. What they really want is a different QB, and are arguing the contract numbers as a justification.

The fact is and knowledgeable ppl know this, that a 48m per contract or a 55m per contract are just hype numbers for a press release. Both could have the same bottom line as far as term and guarantees. At least close enough as to make no appreciable difference. Even Omar is smart enough to realize PR contract numbers are not real.
Yeah Mach this is my point. He is either your guy or he ain't. Does he have flaws and things to work on...of course.

A year ago this forum was littered with posts about "prove he can stay healthy then pay him". Well he did that.

Now it's prove you can win the division, playoff game, conference final then maybe we can consider paying up.

SMH but not surprised really.

Yeah Mach this is my point. He is either your guy or he ain't. Does he have flaws and things to work on...of course.

A year ago this forum was littered with posts about "prove he can stay healthy then pay him". Well he did that.

Now it's prove you can win the division, playoff game, conference final then maybe we can consider paying up.

There was a poster on here who said we shouldn't pay Tua until he won a Super Bowl.

There is a caveat to what I said about the "argument" some attempt to make.

My opinion is to just let him play out the 5th year option, and reassess. I acknowledge the possibility that we may end up paying more. I'm OK with that if his play merits it. In fact, I would be ecstatic if that's how it turned out.

I just believe it's OK to keep options open in this case. I also don't think that is going to happen. My guess is they come to an agreement. There's really no hurry at the moment.

Not only is it very rare overall, I can't think of any that would be comparable to tag and trade of a guy in line for a top 5 contract, regardless of position.

Usually when they do happen, it's because there is a large amount of animosity between player and team, more than anything else.
If I remember right Joey Galloway got tagged and traded to Dallas. But that was like 20+ years ago.

Last edited:
There is a caveat to what I said about the "argument" some attempt to make.

My opinion is to just let him play out the 5th year option, and reassess. I acknowledge the possibility that we may end up paying more. I'm OK with that if his play merits it. In fact, I would be ecstatic if that's how it turned out.

I just believe it's OK to keep options open in this case. I also don't think that is going to happen. My guess is they come to an agreement. There's really no hurry at the moment.
This sounds good in theory. Tua could get injured again or he could take a step backwards which would prompt the team to move on from him.

The problem is that almost all the other QBs in his draft class have gotten paid. Tua hasn't been the clear cut best of the 4: Hurts, Tua, Herbert & Burrow, but hes posted similar stats and last year was his high water mark so far.... what if Tua plays this year and says **** you guys, you made me play out my rookie deal when the other dudes in my class got life changing money 2 years ago......
the usual suspects GIF

This sounds good in theory. Tua could get injured again or he could take a step backwards which would prompt the team to move on from him.

The problem is that almost all the other QBs in his draft class have gotten paid. Tua hasn't been the clear cut best of the 4: Hurts, Tua, Herbert & Burrow, but hes posted similar stats and last year was his high water mark so far.... what if Tua plays this year and says **** you guys, you made me play out my rookie deal when the other dudes in my class got life changing money 2 years ago......
the usual suspects GIF
That is a valid point, in that it is possible. I don't think that is likely, and am willing to take that risk if I'm the GM.

First of all, I don't think Tua would be that spiteful. Beyond that, I also think Tua knows what he has in McD. If he has a great year, our HC will have played a huge part. Why would Tua walk away from a scheme he has now mastered? The first time since HS he has had 3 consecutive years in the same scheme/system, by the way. He would still be due a big payday from the Dolphins, so I can't see any big difference in $. In fact, if that were the case, wouldn't Tua stand to make a lot more from the Dolphins than if he signed a contract now?

I can't worry about "feels". This is a business, and both sides understand that.

50 million is a steal so not sure what you’re talking about. That’s just the price of qbs. Nfl already talking about adding an 18th regular season game. This will increase revenue and the cap. Miami could realistically be looking at signing him for 65 million next year if not signed this year and plays another good season.
A steal? Yeah, QB1 robbing us blind.

Back
Top Bottom