Looks Like WR @ 21 MIGHT Be The Move. If So, Who? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks Like WR @ 21 MIGHT Be The Move. If So, Who?

If WR Is The Pick @ 21...Who?

• Total voters
For me, the short list at 21 is:

Fautanu

Then in no particular order:

Newton
Murphy
Barton
Latu

If we get any of those 5, I'll be pretty happy.

If we trade down then Legette is the first WR on my board, but there are several WRs I like in the 2nd and 3rd range.
You got this right.
It will be one of these 5 players.
They are not drafting a WR that would be the 5th option behind Hill, Waddle, Achane and Mostert.

My short list @21

1. Latham
2. Fautanu
3. Fuaga/Fashanu
4. Guyton
5. Trade Down
6. Morgan
7. Mims
I’m surprised you have Latham over Fautanu perhaps you see something there that gives him an edge, I took a deep dive on Latham and came away on Fautanu’s side

We just picked up a DT starter in Tate yesterday. As the last month has gone by, we've been checking the need boxes. If you want to argue whether those players were right or wrong, go do it elsewhere. The point of this thread is that we might go WR at #21 in this very good WR draft. Hill is on the wrong side of 30 and we really need a solid WR #3 that can fill in for Waddle or Hill if needed. We'll probably still get a vet later in the year but if we go WR at #21, who do we want? @Danny, restrain yourself please from telling us about the O Line. That may be valid but not the point of this thread.

Xavier Lagette?
View attachment 168433

Brian Thomas?
View attachment 168432

Ladd McConkey?
View attachment 168437

Adonai Mitchell?
View attachment 168431

Xavier Worthy (only 172 lbs but super fast).
View attachment 168434

Wrs don;t mean much if the trenches aren't established as we saw last year. I thought that tart guy was just rotational or depth. Miami needs a good dt or replacement for wilkins which they still don't have. Edge rusher is important since phillips and chubb are out and might be out until mid season. Miami got shaq barret but might need another guy. Then could use another tackle, especially since armstead and lamm will probably both retire after this season. Lamm even stated this will be his last season so miami better have a left plan soon

That's a good list. I'd add Verse and Bowers, if he somehow drops....doubtful.

Maybe Grier is super clever but, with so many DT'S signed in free agency, I think they punt early there. And maybe wait until 2025.
I just don't think Verse or Bowers have much chance to be an option.

I wouldn't hate Verse if he fell to us.

I don't think he's an elite prospect, but he's pretty good. I think he's more AVG than he is Chubb or Phillips, but I could be wrong.

Not a huge fan of fifth year Edges who were only pretty good, rather than dominant.

Brian Thomas Jr is likely gone by #21, I think to Jacksonville or Pittsburgh, and Xavier Legette has a lot of momentum, if he gets past the Bills, he won't get past the Chiefs. I think there's a high chance of us getting a good reciever prospect at #55. I think the run on OL and secondary players will be over by then. If we want an impact offensive lineman then it's at #21 or we've missed out in my opinion.

Personally I think we go Edge / safety in round 1 and 2, in whatever order. I believe Grier and McDaniel can find a contributing reciever with some upside in round 5.

Why? We are pretty loaded at edge. They take a while to come along. So, you want to use our first round pick to draft a rookie who somehow has an impact in the 1 to 3 games Chubb and Phillips might miss at the very beginning of his rookie season? This isn't Madden.
I understand this perspective, but it assumes Phillips and Chubb are going to come back at near-100% early in the season.

I think it’s at least 50/50 that at least one of them is not the same player they were before injury, and I also think it’s 50/50 whether they both come back before Week 8. So that’s two 50/50s where we’d want/need another really good edge.

And even if we luck out and both guys return to pre-injury form and play the majority of the season, Barrett is still just a one-year rental, and every great defense needs at least a 3-man edge rushing rotation. So the guy we draft this year would still play 50-60% of snaps next year if he’s good, even if Phillips and Chubb are healthy superstars.

If we can trade down a few spots and grab a fourth from someone like Green Bay, I'd be cool with taking Legette or even Mitchell. Realistically unless one of the elite guys really falls, that's all we're going to get. And if an elite guy falls? Stay put and add the talent imo. Taking an edge guy might be a good decision a year or two down the road, but they usually start slow. There's a good chance they're only playing situationally in year 1. Is that what we want at #21? Feel the same about OL. Is JPJ a better option than Eich at guard in year 1? I feel more and more that DeJean is gonna be the guy if we stay put and he's there. I think if we want Fautanu we need to move up 6 or 7 places.

My point remains. We are not any more loaded by drafting a rookie when we know our starters are most likely back in by late September. It does nothing for us besides chewing up a first rounder for a player who likely won't be making a real impact until '25.
I agree for the most part, but the same can be said for WR if that is the premise. Both would be longer term moves, than immediate return, IMO. I have no issue if that is clearly the best player on the board.

Maybe, its just me, but....

The acquisition of Tyreek* delayed McD installing a scheme like the Niners.

* = Getting Tyreek at the time was to good to pass up.
That is possible, but then you are assuming that it was his intent to install a carbon copy to begin with. I have seen no evidence of that, and even if true, you can't install any scheme if you don't have the horses for it.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part, but the same can be said for WR if that is the premise. Both would be longer term moves, than immediate return, IMO. I have no issue if that is clearly the best player on the board.
Right. But it's a different strategy. The WR doesn't need to come in and contribute immediately. OBJ post June 1 will probably be that move for WR3 or Boyd. Rookie WR (probably Thomas) would be able to come in at his speed and contribute whenever. Hill and Waddle are only on the field together 40% of the time, so plenty of ways to get snaps and make a difference depending upon how he's coming along.

With DE, once Chubb and Phillips are back, you now burned a #1 on a DE who is buried on the depth chart.

Back
Top Bottom