Tunsil Trade Revisited | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tunsil Trade Revisited

The opportunity was there to make something special. But even if we nailed those picks, we wouldn't be able to re sign all of them. But maybe in that short window we could have at least won a playoff game. Texans could regress next season and I wouldn't be surprised, things can change quickly in the NFL. Doesn't seem long ago Browns went all in with Landry OBJ Chubb and mayfield.

But Texans were lucky to get a good QB in stroud. Their head coach won't admit it now but it was painfully obvious last years draft that he wanted the edge rusher instead of Stroud with their first pick. kudos to their GM not wavering and being smart and knowing that QB always comes first.

Obviously history suggests that you have a much better chance of winning playoff games when you play at home. We were in the drivers seat for the 1 seed the past two years until we lost some games late in the year. Why did we start losing games and not looking like the same team? Is it because we suck? Is it because teams figured us out the last two winters? No! It’s because in…

2022: Tua suffered his 2nd concussion on Christmas Day and was out the rest of the year. We played our playoff game starting our 3rd string rookie qb.

2023:
Hill-was hurt and shouldn’t have been playing
Waddle- was basically injured the entire season
Armstead- was basically injured the entire year
Connor- out for the year
Wynn-out for the year
Hunt- injured entire 2nd half of year
Mostert-hurt and shouldn’t have playing
Achane-missed a lot of year
Phillips-out for the year
Chubb-out for the year
VG-out for the year
Howard-was basically hurt all year
Ramsey-missed first half of year
Holland-injured entire 2nd half of year
Elliott-injured entire 2nd half of year

My point is that we’ve had some bad luck. It doesn’t mean we suck
THIS....

Well thru the last 2 years it has been "how bout them Dolphins " for the 1st half of the seasons anyway. Hopefully we get a full season of that this year.
🐻

We are a good team and capable of winning the division and moving deep into the playoffs.

The Tunsil trade was worth it and the record haul of picks was amazing. No regrets here.....

Chiefs, Ravens, Bills. top 2 teams win their division. Might want to beat teams with winning records before claiming a top spot.
So, two of the three teams mentioned won their division?
What about the other teams that made the playoffs? - LOL

"Self-Contradiction Alert"

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Unfortunately, the usage of this phrase and terminology has been used in abundance with the Dolphins for the last 20 years.

I like the enthusiasm and optimism, but it helps to be grounded when disappointment rears its head (again and again, again, again, and again).

I don’t believe it will be an easy division this year, as it’s never been “easy” for the Dolphins - at least in terms of the last two decades.
Yes, but by whom?
The answer is "A bunch of "Lemmings" ".

I guess someone's "Laser" is low on batteries.

Was the trade worth it? Absolutely.

Should you build your team around the WR position? Absolutely not.

Should you build your team with expensive veterans that you gave up high draft picks for? Absolutely not.
100% this. I love Ty Hill the player, but giving up all those assets and my main sticking point, paying 30m to a WR is crazy.

Also the selection of JW over Penai Sewell, again, crazy.

100% this. I love Ty Hill the player, but giving up all those assets and my main sticking point, paying 30m to a WR is crazy.

Also the selection of JW over Penai Sewell, again, crazy.

I agree, Sewell was my pick there not that I don't love everything about Jaylen Waddle, i am just not a believer in the WR position being that important.

Regardless, my biggest gripe is that we squandered so many assets, both draft picks and cap space, in a very limited time thinking we needed to go all-in immediately. Instead of building the team organically through the mass collection of draft assets. Once SF made us that great offer to move up to 3, we should've kept parlaying those picks into better picks. Instead the FO got impatient and decided WR's were going to make us elite.

To go from a team that had 5 first round picks over a two year period to then a team that had the fewest draft assets over a 3 year period is just unfathomable. Same can be said about going from a team with over $100 million in cap space to a team that is now near the bottom in cap space, unreal to believe.

Oh please, you weak and easily triggered posters, please don't stone this clearly "stoned" poster. He can't defend himself from such a superior force.

What a farce. - LOL
Ray, it was a reference to the Tunsil bong incident. It shouldn't need an explanation.

Are you skipping your Balance of Nature meds...LOL

Ok this is ridiculous.

On August 31, 2019, Tunsil, Kenny Stills, and a fourth-round pick were traded to the Houston Texans in exchange for two first-round picks, a second-round pick, Johnson Bademosi, and Julien Davenport. He started 14 games at left tackle in 2019, earning his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

2019 Houston went 10-6, won the AFC South, beat Buffalo in the WC then blew a 24-0 lead losing 51-31 to the Chiefs.

2019 Miami went 5-11, earning the 5th overall pick in the draft as they start their rebuild.

2020 Draft Miami trades one of the 1sts (26th overall) they got from Houston to Green Bay (for 30th overall and a 4th rd pick) so the Packers could select Jordon Love. Miami uses pick from Green Bay (30th) for Noah Igbinoghene who is now on his 3rd team already. That 4th rd pick was traded to Houston to move up and take Solomon Kindley @ pick 111 Houston got picks 136 and 141.

2020 Texans begin their rebuild go 4-12. Tunsil makes pro bowl for 2nd consecutive season.

2020 Miami goes 10-6, misses playoffs

2021 draft...where things gets wonky, Miami trades the #3 overall pick (the 2nd FRP from houston in Tunsil trade) to San Francisco (49ers used pick for Trey Lance) for pick #12, a FRP in 2022 a 3rd in 2022 and a FRP in 2023. Miami then trades back up to #6 with Philadelphia giving up #12 and #123 and a FRP in 2022. Miami also got a 5th rd pick. Miami drafts Jaylen Waddle @6. Miami trades that 5th rd pick to Pittsburgh for a 2022 4th rd pick (Erik Ezukanma) Miami uses that Houston tunsil trade 2nd rd pick on Jevon Holland.

2021 Texans go 4-13.

2021 Dolphins go 9-8 miss playoffs

2022 draft Miami trades their FRP (#29) from Trey Lance 49er trade and a 4th rd pick to KC for Tyreek Hill. Miami uses 3rd rd pick from 49ers Trey Lance trade for Channing Tindall

2022 season Miami goes 9-8, loses to Buffalo in WC
2022 Texans go 3-13-1, Tunsil makes pro bowl for 3rd time.

2023 Draft miami forfeits the 2nd FRP from 49ers lance trade for tampering.

2023 season Miami goes 11-6 loses to KC in WC
2023 Texans go 10-7, win AFC South, beat Cleveland in WC before losing to Baltimore in Divisional Rd. Tunsil makes pro bowl for 4th time.

lol how is Houston how closer to a SB than Miami is? How did San Francisco not have a setback from missing on Lance (yeah I know they got lucky on Purdy). Something ain't right in the FO here. Houston gets rid of Bill O'brien, rebuild, draft Franchise QB, win division and a playoff game, become SB contenders all in the span of 5 years while Miami still spinning its wheels.

Miami basically got Noah Igbinoghene, Solomon Kindley, Jaylen Waddle, Erik Ezukanma, Jevon Holland, Tyreek Hill, and Channing Tindall from their Tunsil trade which overlaps with the Trey Lance trade. Not much to show for it. Miami pretty much got a 70 point game and good offense in September/October out of all this. Was it worth it?
Should have stayed at 3 and taken JaMarr Chase.

Ok this is ridiculous.

On August 31, 2019, Tunsil, Kenny Stills, and a fourth-round pick were traded to the Houston Texans in exchange for two first-round picks, a second-round pick, Johnson Bademosi, and Julien Davenport. He started 14 games at left tackle in 2019, earning his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

2019 Houston went 10-6, won the AFC South, beat Buffalo in the WC then blew a 24-0 lead losing 51-31 to the Chiefs.

2019 Miami went 5-11, earning the 5th overall pick in the draft as they start their rebuild.

2020 Draft Miami trades one of the 1sts (26th overall) they got from Houston to Green Bay (for 30th overall and a 4th rd pick) so the Packers could select Jordon Love. Miami uses pick from Green Bay (30th) for Noah Igbinoghene who is now on his 3rd team already. That 4th rd pick was traded to Houston to move up and take Solomon Kindley @ pick 111 Houston got picks 136 and 141.

2020 Texans begin their rebuild go 4-12. Tunsil makes pro bowl for 2nd consecutive season.

2020 Miami goes 10-6, misses playoffs

2021 draft...where things gets wonky, Miami trades the #3 overall pick (the 2nd FRP from houston in Tunsil trade) to San Francisco (49ers used pick for Trey Lance) for pick #12, a FRP in 2022 a 3rd in 2022 and a FRP in 2023. Miami then trades back up to #6 with Philadelphia giving up #12 and #123 and a FRP in 2022. Miami also got a 5th rd pick. Miami drafts Jaylen Waddle @6. Miami trades that 5th rd pick to Pittsburgh for a 2022 4th rd pick (Erik Ezukanma) Miami uses that Houston tunsil trade 2nd rd pick on Jevon Holland.

2021 Texans go 4-13.

2021 Dolphins go 9-8 miss playoffs

2022 draft Miami trades their FRP (#29) from Trey Lance 49er trade and a 4th rd pick to KC for Tyreek Hill. Miami uses 3rd rd pick from 49ers Trey Lance trade for Channing Tindall

2022 season Miami goes 9-8, loses to Buffalo in WC
2022 Texans go 3-13-1, Tunsil makes pro bowl for 3rd time.

2023 Draft miami forfeits the 2nd FRP from 49ers lance trade for tampering.

2023 season Miami goes 11-6 loses to KC in WC
2023 Texans go 10-7, win AFC South, beat Cleveland in WC before losing to Baltimore in Divisional Rd. Tunsil makes pro bowl for 4th time.

lol how is Houston how closer to a SB than Miami is? How did San Francisco not have a setback from missing on Lance (yeah I know they got lucky on Purdy). Something ain't right in the FO here. Houston gets rid of Bill O'brien, rebuild, draft Franchise QB, win division and a playoff game, become SB contenders all in the span of 5 years while Miami still spinning its wheels.

Miami basically got Noah Igbinoghene, Solomon Kindley, Jaylen Waddle, Erik Ezukanma, Jevon Holland, Tyreek Hill, and Channing Tindall from their Tunsil trade which overlaps with the Trey Lance trade. Not much to show for it. Miami pretty much got a 70 point game and good offense in September/October out of all this. Was it worth it?
That was a LOT of work… good job

Obviously history suggests that you have a much better chance of winning playoff games when you play at home. We were in the drivers seat for the 1 seed the past two years until we lost some games late in the year. Why did we start losing games and not looking like the same team? Is it because we suck? Is it because teams figured us out the last two winters? No! It’s because in…

2022: Tua suffered his 2nd concussion on Christmas Day and was out the rest of the year. We played our playoff game starting our 3rd string rookie qb.

2023:
Hill-was hurt and shouldn’t have been playing
Waddle- was basically injured the entire season
Armstead- was basically injured the entire year
Connor- out for the year
Wynn-out for the year
Hunt- injured entire 2nd half of year
Mostert-hurt and shouldn’t have playing
Achane-missed a lot of year
Phillips-out for the year
Chubb-out for the year
VG-out for the year
Howard-was basically hurt all year
Ramsey-missed first half of year
Holland-injured entire 2nd half of year
Elliott-injured entire 2nd half of year

My point is that we’ve had some bad luck. It doesn’t mean we suck

It's fine if you want to look at things that way but I think most people find that 'woah is me' thinking more of a way to bury your head in the sand than an actual breakdown of why things failed.

For instance, saying that 2022 was all about Tua getting hurt isn't really true. For one, he missed more time in 2021 under Brian Flores with broken ribs and an injured hand than he did with concussions under McDaniel and nobody's crying about how Flores got robbed.

There was more to it than that. There was a collapse that started in SF and played out thru GB wherein we lost 4 straight games with Tua before he left.

We went from being on a roll looking like world-beaters against DET, CHI, CLE and HOU to stalling out against SF and getting totally embarrassed at LA on SNF.

1712237802392.png

We competed well against BUF but Tua's INTs against GB cost us that game and quite frankly he didn't look concussed in the moment. All those reports came later. Nobody was saying anything in the midst of that collapse. It was all after-the-fact the following week. Most people just saw GB defenders sinking into spots to pick off passes they knew were coming. We'd seen good defenses do that before.

The way the BUF, SF and LAC defenses had previously pressured Miami's offense it was clear Miami could be stopped.

2023 was more about injuries, sure, but the fact remains the offense came up small in basically every big game and Tua was playing in all of them. Most of the major injuries didn't happen until later in the season: Hill, Chubb, Phillips, etc.

Points Scored by Miami:

BUF - 20
PHI - 17
KC - 14
BAL - 19
DAL - 22
BUF - 14
KC - 7

Saying you were too hurt to compete just doesn't sit well with people who actually watched the games. It's wasn't injuries that made the offense so inept. It just didn't look well sorted and it didn't have answers a lot of the time. The better the opponent, the more the offense got exposed.

Miami isn't where it needs to be to compete. Ascribing that solely to injuries and thinking we'll be fine in 2024-2025 is going to leave you unhappy when you find out the truth. There's work to be done to improve and get to the level of actually winning Playoff games and making a Super Bowl run.

Back
Top Bottom