We're gonna pick an Edge at #21 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're gonna pick an Edge at #21

I think the draft is deeper at DT and DE/OLB than it is at OL. Particularly when you look at guys coming from college who can play multiple techniques on the DL or Edge players who can play in the dirt or standing. Given the nature of our blocking scheme, a large portion of the OL prospects available aren’t even a realistic option. There will be a ton of quality players available at 55; if there is a run on front 7, more WR or DBs will be there (or vise versa).
The top tier Oline prospects are better than the top Dline prospects this year for sure.

And if it ends up not being a good pick, we pay for it for 4 years.

The commitment to a rd1 selection goes beyond the immediate. So should the thought process to draft him.

I'm not against drafting Oline. If a top Tackle prospect is there at 21, that would be awesome.

No matter what position we draft that late in the round, chances are he isn't going to perform like an above average vet. Could it happen? Yes.
I doubt any DT we could draft at 21 would be as good as Wilkins was.......but any IOL we draft at 21 would be better than anything we have at guard

How come when I hear "game changing plays" by our impact player B. Chubb I first think of him ripping his helmet off against Tennessee and certainly changing that game (and season) in a most detrimental way.
One play?

And he isnt the reason we lost. We lost because our offense sucked ass and our defense couldnt hold a 14 point lead.

One penalty is a grain of sand on the beach.

OG does not have low positional value. Not in this offense or many offenses. Particularly with Tua being on the shorter side. Teams are placing greater value there just as they do DT. DT is so valued and paid so well because if you can pressure a QB from the inside quickly you blow up the passing game. They can weather outside rushers and step up into the pocket. But when Tua is pressured up the middle and teams take away his first or second option even before the play starts he’s in trouble if we can’t protect him another .5-1.5 seconds.

That said, Fautanu is the ideal candidate as he can be an all pro caliber OG and play at a near similar level at LT, and we will have to replace Armstead likely next year. But we’d have a stud iOL with Fautanu.

However, Jeremiah has Fautanu ranked 11th in his latest top 50 and most mocks have him going top 16 at the latest. He’s out of reach.

Barton would be a solid pick at 21. Not as versatile but could play LT if needed.

I do think we may go edge. Or DT. But I think Phillips and Chubb will be ready and clear to play by game 1 given recovery periods I’ve been seeing in a lot of players. They won’t be

Don’t forget, We also signed Shaq Barrett. And Barrett had the same injury in 2022, in the same week (torn Achilles, week 8) as Phillips last year. And he was good to go by camp and played 16 games in 2023.

As long as Grier doesn’t go DB I’m okay.

Although one DL I Do Not want at 21 is Darius Robinson who has been linked to Miami. High character guy but his 1.75 split and 4.95 40 show he does not have the suddenness to bring any pass rush. I’d rather draft Michael Hall than Robinson. Latu & Verse are definitely candidates if one is there at 21. I can see it. Not my favorite for needs (I’d rather trade down). But good players.
I agree on Fautanu, both that he's the perfect guy and that he's out of reach. If they gave up a 2025 3rd to move up for him I'd be all for it but think it is going to take more than that.

I do like Barton and Morgan and Chris Haynes but if people are worried about Tua getting killed wouldn't we be better getting another veteran guard or two instead of relying on a rookie who's going to have to go through a position change?

If we drafted another Corner in round 1 it will un-do all the good things Grier has done this offseason for me personally. He simply can't draft corners.

We need a corner too. But hes drafted so many busts, I'd rather he drafted a damn Kicker.
You do realize he drafted Xavien Howard, right?

Yes, we need to play better as an Oline unit.

To be fair, though, we weren't bad before injuries started mounting.

I would also point out that there is no such thing as "fixing" it in a permanent sense. Players come and go, get injured, get old, etc. it is something that evolves year over year. That's why I tend to think a bit longer term, than just drafting an IOL for need if there are better players available.
Well said and I don't know how this point continues to baffle the OL at all costs crowd. Drafting a couple of rookies, especially ones who will have to switch positions doesn't "fix an OL". Sorry, we aren't picking top 10 this year and Richmond Webb and Keith Sims won't be on the board for us.

Reaching for a player because of a perceived need never makes your roster as good as it could be. Liam freakin' Eichenberg was a bad investment of multiple draft picks the Dolphins have watched him play and fail at multiple positions. Dallas Thomas, Jamil Douglas, J'Wan James, Michael Dieter, Billy Turner were reaches who never lived up to their draft status. Maybe it was coaching but only Turner went on to have any success after he busted in Miami. Dieter played OK last year but if the Texans liked him they would have kept him.

And your point about OL's being in a state of flux from year to year is also very true. Sometimes you address losses through free agency and others you go through the draft. I just don't see Miami taking a center high in this draft when they already have one. Or drafting a 6' 7" RT that fans think can play guard or transition to LT.

I don't know why everyone is so confident that Chubb & Phillips will be back early, by week 1 here in your statement, much less that they will be effective. I guaranty going into 2025 we will all be saying "and now Chubb and Phillips are two years removed from serious knee and achilles injuries so they should be back to top shelf form!" It just stands to reason they will either miss not insignificant time in 2024 and/or that they will be a shell of their former selves. For that reason and the ability to potentially shed Chubb's contract sooner than later a top edge player at #21 could be in the cards. A lot depends on how the FO really feels about Chubb & Phillips chances this year.

I would rather go offense and build that unit up into a juggernaut if possible but the FO likely thinks it can get an IOL and WR later in the draft so an edge in round 1 wouldn't surprise me at all.
Knee injuries aren’t that big of a deal anymore. An Achilles can take some time to get your burst back. I think Barrett will have a bounce back year and we can sign one of the 3 pass rushers we signed out of retirement for the playoff game if we need a guy for a few weeks. But if we sign Chop I’m cool with it. I just think it may be overkill considering Chubb was playing at an all pro level last year

Dang Fever, you anticipated bot Hunt and C. Williams not being on the team this year at the beginning of last year?

You are not only a cap genius, but you the modern day Nostradamus my man lol

So, how many other CBs did he draft in the top 2 rounds?
You want to defend Grier and his track record for drafting corners, how many corners has Grier drafted in the top 2 rounds who have made an impact to the football team in a positive way on the field in the last 5 years?

Back
Top Bottom