What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

In general yeah you’re always looking for a deal. Even though not a caleb Williams fan if he falls to 21 you take him due to his prospect rating. That’s a top pick falling like Marino did.
OK cool.

Then I see you and I are finally aligned here a bit 👍 ...that being said...when we are specifically talking about Penix I've seen opinions on him vary greatly...I personally wouldn't go that way in the 1st either ...and in general, quite frankly I seriously doubt we draft a qb at all in this draft...but who knows...

OK cool.

Then I see you and I are finally aligned here a bit 👍 ...that being said...when we are specifically talking about Penix I've seen opinions on him vary greatly...I personally wouldn't go that way in the 1st either ...and in general, quite frankly I seriously doubt we draft a qb at all in this draft...but who knows...

Yeah I mean I think that’s the bigger issue is not the reluctance to upgrade but the suggestions being thrown out are crazy.

I’ve heard things like cousins who’s 10 years older and the same tier as Tua, I’ve heard **** like Drew Lock at 5 million is an upgrade over Tua at 50 million or reaching for Penix who’s almost the same age as Tua, spent 6 years in college and has a laundry list of injuries and is probably a 3rd round draft grade.

I don’t think that’s the same conversation as possibly replacing Tua with a legit option. There’d be a lot less push back if the conversation was about Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels at 21 which will never happen but atleast those are 1st round guys. Reaching for Penix 1st round is up there with Drew lock for me lol

If we're talking fit, I think Bo Nix actually would be better in Miami's offense then Penix.

At least in the way McDaniel's offense currently functions, with quick, accurate passes to playmakers like Hill and Waddle.

Nix would also offer more athletic ability than Penix and Tua.

To be clear, I'm in build around Tua camp, but if the evaluation on any quarterback that drops to the Dolphins is higher than Tua do you pull the trigger?

It's at least a topic to discuss, especially with Tua's contract not settled.

Agree SF. Nix is excellent in the quick game, excellent vs pressure, and excellent when he needs to extend. People are low on him, because he's not aggressive, but he stacks good play after good play, and he does push the ball when the opportunity is there.

I think he's a particularly good fit with Shanahan-offshoot offenses.

Last edited:
Really?

That's what you got out of what I said...<sigh>

Look at it this way. I don't care who it is at QB....for whatever reason too many posters on here have always acted as if ANY qb brought in to compete is a cardinal sin worthy of death the way they act.

heads GIF

I say BPA and if it's a QB, so what?

I’m not the only one who saw it, my friend. You literally stated that some people wouldn’t take Marino because of Woodley in a Michael Penix thread.

If your suggestion is BPA at 21, then I have no qualms with it…because that’s not Penix. There are two QBs in this draft I would trade Tua for without a second thought - and neither of those will be there beyond pick five.

I’m not the only one who saw it, my friend. You literally stated that some people wouldn’t take Marino because of Woodley in a Michael Penix thread.

If your suggestion is BPA at 21, then I have no qualms with it…because that’s not Penix. There are two QBs in this draft I would trade Tua for without a second thought - and neither of those will be there beyond pick five.
This wasn't really about Tua v Penix for most participating here. Not overtly, at least.

As to the Marino comp, TBH, I didn't read it as a direct comp, only as an example where no rule/philosophy should be so hard and fast as to dismiss great opportunity if it happens to present itself.

Not saying you, particularly, but there does seem to be a segment of posters who become immediately and overly defensive of Tua when random discussions take place.

I've never seen anything like it. MacArthur isn't this polarizing.

This wasn't really about Tua v Penix for most participating here. Not overtly, at least.

As to the Marino comp, TBH, I didn't read it as a direct comp, only as an example where no rule/philosophy should be so hard and fast as to dismiss great opportunity if it happens to present itself.

Not saying you, particularly, but there does seem to be a segment of posters who become immediately and overly defensive of Tua when random discussions take place.

I've never seen anything like it. MacArthur isn't this polarizing.
I thought by the title, OP and subsequent 3 pages of friendly discussion around basicly the draft and the QB prospects, we were in the clear from any crazy behavior.

Tua is a good QB, I'm conformable admiting there are probably better QBs out there but Tua is good enough to win a Superbowl or two. Just look at some of the QBs that have won Superbowls, if Dilfer and Eli can do it so can Tua.

If we had the #1 pick and were staring down the same decision as the Bears are with Fields/Williams, can you imagine this place. It would be like throwing a grenade in one of those giants piles of **** from Jurassic Park.

No offense fellas but from what I'm seeing, many of you guys pass on Marino because we had Woodley who just got us to a SB...
Massive massive difference. Marino was a top 5 talent and was neck and neck with Elway. Those guys were franchise QBs. Marino fell because rumors. Maybe if Williams or something like that fell to 21 sure. But Penix is a 2nd round talent that will get over drafted because of QB needy teams. Penix has maybe a slightly stronger arm then Tua other then that there is not a single thing he does at Tua's level as a passer. Do people realize that Tua is only 2 years older then Penix despite getting ready for his 5th year in the NFL. At Penixs age Tua lead the NFL in pass rating. Wonder what 6 year super SR Tua would look like in a pass happy offense in college.

PENIX = PAT WHITE

Seriously when you watch his college plays and compare it to Pat White's plays they look the same, the player looks the same in size as well.

Just another little QB that can run a bit. His arm is suspect as well.

Not in the draft a QB camp but that couldn’t be further from the truth. They are not similar at all in any way. Penix is extremely accurate and has a better arm than many here are describing. Much better. His ability to run is a small part of his bag as opposed to White where that was his main strength. Penix actually fits McD’s scheme. If we needed a QB and couldn’t get high enough for Pink Nails or Jayden Daniels he is who I’d want to target (not a fan of Maye personally and JJ is super suspect to me coming out of that Michigan system).

There are some obvious question marks, especially durability and frame, but I like Penix. We’ll see how he turns out.

I know we wont take that risk but I believe Penix's ceiling is higher than Tua's. Sure Tua will rack up a lot of yards against bad defenses but when will he win big games against good teams?
What? Penix has a slightly better arm and that is it. Penix isn't close to Tua coming out of college. As Mello points out his accuracy is no where close. Penix can't layer throws well, he need an open lane to an open WR. Penix was a 6 year guy, at Penix's age Tua lead the NFL in pass rating. Penix was an average QB in the BIG10 (they play D). Look at what Penix looked like this year against the only top 50 D he faced all year (Michigan). Penix was all over the place against Michigan. Once he can't just stand in the clean pocket and wait for an open WR he goes to crap. I swear some people's evaluations of a QBs "ceilling" is basically if QB have big arm he have big ceiling.

Depending upon which position they attack at 21 (or if they trade down), I’d be much more ok taking a flier on Penix as competition to Tua with their #55 pick.

If he was on the board at 55, I’d have no problem taking him there. Unlike many, I don’t see a problem creating competition at all positions and the Dolphins have nobody behind Tua to offer that right now.

But over-drafting him at 21 creates multiple problems the Dolphins don’t need. They need to add a nice complimentary piece at 21 and not start a QB controversy by using a FRP on a position they already have a more than capable starter.
I have said the same. Fine with competition. Heck not even against QB at 21, but it has to be a because a top level QB fell like McCarthy. Sure as crap not reaching on Penix/Nix (2nd round talent) at 21. These guys finally but up a season comparable to Tua as a sophomore when they were 5th and 6th year SRs in the PAC.

Wrote this last week in the Draft section but we all know hardly anyone goes in there so this is prob new to most of you.

These are my shock jock, shoot from the hip, wild, unfiltered, probabaly totally incorrect QB predictions. Post your predictions too, bc I'm interested in you-alls thoughts. I'm doing the top 6, feel free to add more if you wish.

Williams - Goes to Chicago and prob becomes their best QB of all time (not saying much) but the team will be nothing more than a media engine for a big market. 10 to 15 yr career but no trophies. Williams is talented but I don't think he has the work ethic to be great, he may enter the NFL at his talent ceiling, get even more famious and focus more on being a celeb than a great football player.

Daniels- taken by Washington and tragically just like RGIII is injured often and early in his career. Daniels is mobile in the same vein as Lamar is but there is a huge difference in the way these guys run. Lamar avoids big hits, Daniels gets blown up often when he runs. My prediction, this reckless running style makes him have a shortened career maybe 5 years tops as a starter. Harsh but this is my gut feeling.

Maye- I see a Mac Jones type player, might be a bit better than Mac but I think his ceiling is a low tier starter. Ceiling is around Tannehill.

McCarthy - He's Zach Wilson, looks like Wilson, has tools like Wilson & also has little college experianse just like Wilson.... only difference McCarthy won alot more. I could be totally wrong and he turns out to be pretty good, ceiling like Baker Mayfield level of talent.

Nix - ends up on a good team like the Vikings and ends up having the most successful career out of the entire class. He's instinctive and going to the right situation will play a huge part in his development and eventual success.

Penix - He's raw and not super accurate, he will get some starts maybe a year or two as a starter but ends up a backup.

Back
Top Bottom