Reworked and refined throwing by Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reworked and refined throwing by Tua

Playcalling that emphasizes second and third options (TEs, RBs and FB) would go a long way. If those calls have been there and Tua isn't heading them then yeah he ought to learn.
It takes time to get to a 2nd and 3rd read. That is something he has never had since he has been here. The only reason the OL looked improved last year is because we have a QB who led the league in passing who can get the ball out quickly and accurately in 2.23 seconds.

Call me crazy, but he wouldn’t have to run like a gazelle if our OL wasn’t trash. He went from MVP front runner to “fat and slow” when every starter on our OL was hurt. Oh and some of their back ups were hurt too. I appreciate the people who want Tua to run around, but I would prefer an OL that doesn’t allow multiple defenders to apply pressure in 2.5 seconds (or less) every pass pro rep.

I agree there were a few times (last year) where he could have run, but unless he was Lamar Jackson fast 90% of the time there was no way to escape. There is a difference between avoiding a blitz or pressure from 1 defender and escaping from your pocket immediately crumbling around you.

I would have quoted the guy you quoted, but I opted for the block button on that one.
Thank you! There are so mean clueless Madden wanna bes on here that just simply think you can just run when a play breaks down.

"It’s not a drastic difference, but there appears to be even less windup to Tagovailoa’s already tight motion and it looks like he’s working to step through his throws and use additional hip torque."

It means he's learning to throw with more power from his body than his arms, i'd bet his golf swing is getting better too. This doesn't mean Tua didn't know how to throw a football before this off-season.
I like Tua has the humility to continue to develop and learn.

No need to, he already knows how...

When it comes to being mobile, I think there's a big difference between Tua before the concussions and Tua after the concussions. Either he's playing scared, McDaniel doesn't want him to risk getting hurt again, or a little of both.

I am 100% behind Tua's release being even more efficient/quick, via improved mechanics. I saw, many times, last year, throws that were off where he shorted his mechanics. It's glaring if I can see it. He does a fine job at avoiding rushers, short of a jailbreak, and I'd have to agree with posters stating he missed many opportunities to run for a quick 1st down or gain, where coverage was winning the play and plenty lanes were available. Holding on and trying to buy time to come up with a big play isn't his game. Sure it'll work sometimes, but not at a reliable rate IMO, better off snaggin' a quick 1st and resetting.

As for him hardly getting past the first few steps in the progression, I took a lot of heat last season by being down on the OL, when everybody was hyping them up. They weren't as good as Tua was making them look, and all that was primarily against sub-par opponents, we all saw what happened against good teams...they were exposed plainly.

I don't get hyped up about Tua leading the league in passing yards...that stat has always been overvalued IMO. Its nice and all, but not definitive. Much rather my QB lead the league in TDs or TD/INT ratio. In 6 games against playoff teams (not counting the playoff game, which was fluke'ish with weather), 3 of which games were to clinch the division at the end of the season, the passing game averaged per game:

256 yds, 1.5 TDs, 1 INT, 66% completion

Completion % and yards per game were lower than his average (which these games also contribute to), TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, on the season it was 2.3 to 1 (again, including these games). And he was sacked at a higher clip in those games. Further evidence the OL was a mirage, sharpened by Tua's performance especially against weak teams.

Tua seems to be doing everything he can to make himself the best QB he can be, and that is encouraging and a great sign of things to come. I don't believe we need to go crazy on a WR3, I think the guys we have are plenty good enough with some reliable guys filling that 3rd slot. We need to bolster the OL and hope Jonnu is integrated well into the scheme (I believe he will be). Maybe our OL coach in year two can make even more of an impact than he did last year...we need it.

You mean after 2.23 seconds when he faces pressure up the middle and both sides?
So, anytime Tua sh!ts the bed when a play breaks down, it's always someone else's fault. Got it.

Like fck, use your brain. Clearly, it's not Tua's fault when he faces pressure because the OL can't sustain their blocks. With that said, there are times where QBs aren't going to have everything go perfectly for them every play and there are plenty of QBs who can create something when the play breaks down. Tua is really bad at this. This is something I don't like to see him improve on. Buying time in the pocket, moving outside the pocket when getting pressure and making a play.

Like, why can't people just use their brains before posting garbage all the time. It's like people just chose to be combative without using their brain before posting.

Tua throws at 2.5 secs because the offense is built to him and he is really most effective as a 1 read qb . I have seen many plays where there is far more time but he has already decided where he was going to throw or even force the ball mostly to Hill.

For some reason many posters want to blame anyone other than Tua for any shortcomings . There is no such thing as a perfect offense , if there was even my old fat ass would be able to suit up .
Our OL ranked 22 overall. The Ravens, Chiefs, 49ers, and Bills were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but sure go off.

When it comes to being mobile, I think there's a big difference between Tua before the concussions and Tua after the concussions. Either he's playing scared, McDaniel doesn't want him to risk getting hurt again, or a little of both.
He's not playing scared. Hell, right after he came back from the concussion he was leading with his head during a rush. He is being coached not to take the hits.

I mean, how fast can it get? It's already lightning quick.
when this happened I said there ain’t much they can do with a perfect swing/release like Tua has.

Lower body, footwork, and core strength principles is where I believe they can make a difference.jmo

What's so scarey about that? Every qb needs to tweak their mechanics. It's not like he is learning the position from scratch, like Tannehil. I mean how in the hell did we all think Tannehill would amount to anything more? He started to play qb in college 🤣
No he didn’t, he started playing WR in college.
At least know what you’re talking about.🤭

Just admit you don’t know the difference between a house and a John?

If you did you would remove that post
I’m okay if you want to have two QBs who never amounted to anything, let alone be known for their technical skills.

I mean, you have to commend him for putting in the work but man, I was told he is the most nfl ready qb in history to come out the draft...

Call me crazy, but he wouldn’t have to run like a gazelle if our OL wasn’t trash. He went from MVP front runner to “fat and slow” when every starter on our OL was hurt. Oh and some of their back ups were hurt too. I appreciate the people who want Tua to run around, but I would prefer an OL that doesn’t allow multiple defenders to apply pressure in 2.5 seconds (or less) every pass pro rep.

I agree there were a few times (last year) where he could have run, but unless he was Lamar Jackson fast 90% of the time there was no way to escape. There is a difference between avoiding a blitz or pressure from 1 defender and escaping from your pocket immediately crumbling around you.

I would have quoted the guy you quoted, but I opted for the block button on that one.
Yeah but he was slow. He got slower as the year went on - and heavier looking. It’s not about running. It’s about moving in the pocket to find another launch point when needed. He’s been good at it most of his career. He wasn’t as good at it last year because he was too slow from the bulk he put on. There were plays where interior DL guys were chasing and going to catch him so he threw it OOB or away. Had he been w little faster he'd gave had time to set and throw.

This line scares the hell out of me;
The video from Tuesday, which tagged 3DQB, appears to be further confirmation that Tagovailoa is getting consultation from the best in the business.
Tom house and John Beck the best in the business🤣🤣🤣

I get the joke, but the truth is, the best coaches rarely come from the best players. Just because John Beck wasn't a great QB, doesn't mean he isn't a great QB coach.

Back
Top Bottom