Reworked and refined throwing by Tua | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reworked and refined throwing by Tua

I want him to be able to keep a play alive and make a play when needed. I want him to put the team on his back and make a ****ing play. Not every play the WR will be open instantly and the OL will make perfect blocks, I’m asking him to be able to extend plays from time to time. I think he should be able to do that.

I’m not comparing him to Brady and Manning, but those two used to just drop to the ground

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I mean, you have to commend him for putting in the work but man, I was told he is the most nfl ready qb in history to come out the draft...
I guess the best QBs just stop putting in the work after they're drafted. None of 'em attempted to refine their craft, I mean why bother right....

Yeah its a lazy and false narrative.

Early last season Tua made plenty of off script plays, made stuff happen when the line broke down

But that was with a healthy line and clean pass blocking over 2.1 seconds. Additionally, Tua would typically be able to step up in the pocket or only need to evade 1 defender.

Last 7 games or so, line injuries and now Tua is evading 2 or 3 defenders while having 6-7 defenders dropping back into coverage. The IOL broke down significantly and Tua did not have the ability to step up in the pocket.

People need to understand. Tua had a league low clean pocket time of 2.1 seconds.

To put that in perspective, the last 7 games DROPPED that average to 2.1 seconds.

So just think how bad the pass blocking really was to have dropped the average to 2.1 seconds.

Tua already has the leagues fastest release at 2.3 seconds.
where did you get those stats from phonk?

where did you get those stats from phonk?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but Google.

I also know this was previously discussed in a diferrent thread. Someone posted the diferrence between 1st half of season and 2nd half with regards to clean pocket time.

But which specific stat?
This is a link to the overall clean pocket time

Sorry, but I still don't see how our offensive line was 22nd ,Wasn't that 22 ranking regarding PA- Points allowed The reason I ask is Pro Football focus had the Eagles offensive line at 1,and Detriot at 2... The rest is behind a pay wall

Yeah not sure what he’s talking about defense was ranked 22nd though. Oline was ranked 31st by ESPN and 16th by pff however pff can be kind of skewed as the oline when most of the starters played was pretty much top 5 however when guys started getting injured they had some awful grades so overall grade is a mixture of the two. Last month and a half you can see weeks 14/15/16/17/18/WC all the bottom portion of grades.

IMG_8036.png

Wonder how the goal posts will move on why Tua sucks next offseason after he wins a playoff game…

It’s either going to be because of the defense or because of the plays everyone else on the offense made.

We have never and will never win a game because of Tua. Not even the comeback in Baltimore….. “Tyreek was wide open every play”

The same fanbase that spent multiple years defending Ryan ****ing Tannehill continues to bash Tua every chance they get. It’s hilarious.

Wonder how the goal posts will move on why Tua sucks next offseason after he wins a playoff game…

For me, the questions began on December 1, 2018.

The first time I saw Tua actually hit a wall I realized he would be a gimmick QB until he proved he wasn't. And I think you're right. It's going to take a Playoff game where he plays well. He hasn't "fixed" his image since 12/1/18 and it's been an onslaught of disappoint every time he plays on a big stage.

Nothing he has done has really convinced anyone that he's anything more than the Bama QB who led the Crimson Tide through 12 regular season wins against 12 opponents who couldn't compete with Bama's talent who all lost by 22 or more points.

But on December 1st Georgia whooped him. 40% completions, 160 passing yards, 2 INTs, knocked out of the game and saved by the backup who was none other than Jalen Hurts, the guy he'd replaced a year prior.

And then Clemson intercepted him twice and shut the Tide's offense down for a National Championship.

And then the following year Burrow played a perfect game and beat him, stealing his crown.

And then he got injured like a small, slow, injury-prone guy does, right?

And then he threw for 80 yards against Denver.

And then he got pulled against a Raiders defense filled with Covid back-ups.

Then he threw 3 INTs against Buffalo with the Playoffs on the line.

Then the next year his INT helped give Jacksonville their first win in forever...more embarrassment.

Then he threw 2 more INTs and we lost to ATL the next week.

And his lackluster game in Tennessee him exposed further.

Then came the emotional stuff and the talk of whether or not he "sucked."

Then his concussions came calling.

And his unstoppable offense got stopped by a good defense in SF in the biggest game of the week.

And then the Chargers stomped on his unstoppable offense...in primetime.

And there were 3 more INTs to lose against GB in front of everyone's family...on Christmas.

And then in the biggest game of Oct '23 when we had momentum....a blowout loss to Buffalo.

And then in the biggest game after that....a loss to Philly in primetime.

And then in Germany with all eyes on us....a loss to KC when we were the only game on TV.

And then on MNF....a loss to TEN in primetime.

And then 5 more INTs in the final 4 weeks.

And a couple losses to the AFC's top teams.

Oh, and then he got to the Playoffs and scored 7 points with everyone suiting up.

He's been the guy who's stepped in to throw the costly pick or lose the big game for quite a few years now. His glory stopped on December 1, 2018 as far as I'm concerned and he's been on the hook to steal that glory back every since.

Like it or not, you cannot continually lose and look bad in primetime or people will turn on you. FWIW, I thought he got off to an amazing start in 2023 and really played great right up through the Philly game. He was "big game Tua" for the first 1/3rd of the season. He was unbelievable against the Chargers and played really well against Philly. I thought he'd finally turned a corner TBH.

But hey, if you want to be king you've got to earn it and he just hasn't won yet...literally.

At some point you have to win big games. That's the freakin' point.

No one's going to complain if he suddenly starts showing up and winning actual primetime games.

You guys who talk about goal posts forget that the force moving those is called disappointment. No one's going to be disappointed if we're actually winning our big games. And if some people get to that point and they're still concerned with how other people feel, well, both groups have their own problems IMHO.

Last edited:

The first time I saw Tua actually hit a wall I realized he would be a gimmick QB until he proved he wasn't. And I think you're right. It's going to take a Playoff game where he plays well. He hasn't "fixed" his image since 12/1/18 and it's been an onslaught of disappoint every time he plays on a big stage.

Nothing he has done has really convinced anyone that he's anything more than the Bama QB who led the Crimson Tide through 12 regular season wins against 12 opponents who couldn't compete with Bama's talent who all lost by 22 or more points.

But on December 1st Georgia whooped him. 40% completions, 160 passing yards, 2 INTs, knocked out of the game and saved by the backup who was none other than Jalen Hurts, the guy he'd replaced a year prior.

And then Clemson intercepted him twice and shut the Tide's offense down for a National Championship.

And then the following year Burrow played a perfect game and beat him, stealing his crown.

Then the next year his INT helped give Jacksonville their first win in forever...more embarrassment.

And his unstoppable offense got stopped by a good defense in SF in the biggest game of the week.

And there were 3 more INTs to lose against GB in front of everyone's family...on Christmas.

And then in the biggest game of Oct '23 when we had momentum....a blowout loss to Buffalo.

And then in Germany with all eyes on us....a loss to KC when we were the only game on TV.

Oh, and then he got to the Playoffs and scored 7 points with everyone suiting up.

He's been the guy who's stepped in to throw the costly pick or lose the big game for quite a few years now. His glory stopped on December 1, 2018 as far as I'm concerned and he's been on the hook to steal that glory back every since.

Like it or not, you cannot continually lose and look bad in primetime or people will turn on you. FWIW, I thought he got off to an amazing start in 2023 and really played great right up through the Philly game. He was "big game Tua" for the first 1/3rd of the season. He was unbelievable against the Chargers and played really well against Philly. I thought he'd finally turned a corner TBH.

But hey, if you want to be king you've got to earn it and he just hasn't won yet...literally.

No one's going to complain if he suddenly starts showing up and winning actual primetime games.

You guys who talk about goal posts forget that the force moving those is called disappointment. No one's going to be disappointed if we're actually winning our big games. And if some people get to that point and they're still concerned with how other people feel, well, both groups have their own problems IMHO.
Great post… just disagree. Giannis articulated it best… No failure in sports. Steps to success!

This coming from the guy who tried to tell me New England's dynasty wasn't all about Tom Brady. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom